Author Topic: Characters from the Crown pub, Ringway club, Mexi cafe 60s/70s  (Read 7538 times)

townie

Re: Characters from the Crown pub, Ringway club, Mexi cafe 60s/70s
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 12:01:42 AM »

Hi, I used The Crown from late 1990s - I remember Tommy with the trilby and flower in his lapel. Drank barley wines  - right up to when he died aged about 85. Gordon was a great friend of mine (if we're talking the same Gordon) - lived in flats opposite (Stephenson Towers - now demolished). He died September 2006. Knew loads of great people and characters, often wonder where they all are - although I do know a lot have sadly passed on. Anyone remember Jim Parsons from the Royal Mail? He has sadly passed on now also. Live down South now, could not believe Crown had closed. RIP my friends,great memories

There must have been a couple of characters who wore a trilby and flower in their lapel. The person I was talking about was named Ted and if he was still alive he would have been about 100 by the late 90s I'm talking about the 70s
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

townie

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »
There were only 2 queens in Birmingham in the 70s, that was Barry Parker and Darrel. 

WANDERER

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
Townie, you mentioned Gordon and Eric - remember there used to be Eddie (I think!) used to go in there, also used Bull Ring Tavern. Rumour was both of them maybe sold tobacco - only a rumour though, don't know. Loads of characters in there, always good fun. Wally the professional musician who worked at the Toreador - told me loads of stories about that place and Tommy Cooper! Johnny the safecracker, Dougie, Charlie who used the Firebird, Lenny who was a drag artist at the Jester, Luscious his mate, all of the piddleheads at the Royal Mail and British Rail, Cockney Billy, London Billy (image of Kenny Dalglish)......great times.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Hi Wanderer

My time at the Crown was in the middle 60's (the only time worth being young) of course the turnover of regulars in these sort of pubs is rapid. Accordingly none of the names you mention are recognisable to me, although could you describe the Dougie you knew, in the late 90's the one I knew would have been in his 50's. Though I doubt he would be still using the Crown then, though all things are possible.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WANDERER

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »
Hi Phil,

Dougie would have been in his early-mid 60s when I knew him (late 90s - 2004). He was tall, slim, light brown hair, softly spoken and a gentleman. Also a small beard. Seem to remember I was told he had connection with Channel Islands? He used to hang round with Gordon and Johnny when I knew them, also using Sarah Moons, Bar St Martin and the Yard Of Ale. Maybe he was in the Navy at one time? I know Johnny was, Gordon was in the Merchant Navy.

Appreciate all of the interesting posts by the way, your knowledge of Old Birmingham is incredible! Lovely for the memories, just invokes such sad feelings that (for the most part), all gone forever.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Hi Wanderer

No it's not the same Dougie as he was only a year or two younger than me. He certainly wasn't a gentleman or tall according to what you say the chap you know would be about 78 know and the one I remember would be about 68. If you enjoy what you read on the forum then keep reading because there is a lot about Birmingham.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:17 PM »

I remember Barry and also Irish  Mick the other Queen of Brum,  I remember Barry and his dancing in the Ringway, always a showman!

Ann what year did you use the Ringway?

dave1954

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »
I remember Barry and also Irish  Mick the other Queen of Brum,  I remember Barry and his dancing in the Ringway, always a showman![/size]

[/size]
I was reading a thread on facebook , Memories of Birmingham and apparently old Barry Parker passed on at home a couple of years ago  in Worcester
            Wether its true i do not know . its what people were saying amongst themselfs.

Scipio

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »

There must have been a couple of characters who wore a trilby and flower in their lapel. The person I was talking about was named Ted and if he was still alive he would have been about 100 by the late 90s I'm talking about the 70s

I remember a Ted that used to use the Crown on Broad St  he always had a flower in his lapel , always drank halves , I can't say I ever seen him at the Crown in Hill St though . I used to frequent the Crown and the Ringway about 67-69 or thereabouts
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

townie

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
 Scipio. It was defiantly the Crown on Hill Street/Station Street he would be in there every dinner time. I don't think the Crown on Broad Street would have tolerated him.   

Joych

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:45 AM »
Remember many of the names you said. Was a regular at the Crown, rum runner, Yates etc. in early 70’s
I also remember Twiggy, Neil, Keith, Frankie, Chrissy and Pat. Good times

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy