Author Topic: Hodge Hill  (Read 6885 times)

castalla

Hodge Hill
« on: August 05, 2014, 08:05:39 PM »
Has anybody got any photos of this area, just wondered what the streets looked loke prior to 1957, looking for Millinghton, Oakdale, Chipperfield,Roads Ermington Cresent and surronding area Also St Wilfreds r.c School

Thank you

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Hodge Hill
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Hi Castalla,

The street you mention come in as Castle Bromwich on my map, but there are often differences on maps to where we lived and where the maps say we lived. Here are some of the locations you asked for, followed by some nearby locations.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Two other locations from nearby,

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

castalla

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
Thanks Phil yes i always knew it as Castle Brom as well, the Shop Hughes in Chipperfield i remember as Gadds the Bakers, homemade bread and cakes think they had a at least one shop in Erdington early 60´s when Dillons brought out the independant  Newsagents they got rid of Gadds after a few months a great loss. Also Remember Frankilins in Erminghton Cres.

The shops in Shawsdale we used to call the New Shops, as they were built after chipperfield and Ermimngton shops. Thanks for the photos anyway, any idea what year they would of been taken ¿

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:04:32 PM »
Castalla

All I can tell you is that the Chipperfield Rd one is c1960 & the Shawsdale Rd one id C1972.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
Castalla..

When I lived in Millington Rd during the 40s,  The shop on the right (Unless there are other shops out of view to the right) was Surridges, a news agents and toy shop. It was the first one after the houses.

In Ermington Cresent, The Smiths shop (or the one to the right of it)  was Thompsons.   Hope this helps you a bit with your enquiry about early days in Castle Brom.  I left age 6yrs in 1949.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

oakdale71

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »
Lived in Oakdale Rd in the 70's, 80's and Early 90's and Chipperfield and Ermington were our local shops. We used them on an almost daily basis.

In my day the Chipperfield shops left to right were Garnetts (fruit & veg), Laundrette, Butchers (Preedy), Outdoor (Mitchells and Butlers), Gadd's Bakers (Hughes) and Dillons.

Remember Gadd's Bakers and their Creme Puffs with the shop window wasps in the summer. By the time it closed the business started to feel a bit run down sadly as times had moved on. I recall it getting swallowed up into the extension of Dillons.
Mitchells and Butlers or The Outdoor as we knew it soldiered on well into the 90's by which time it looked like a fortress with the shop assistants all behind plastic glass. It was a far cry from the friendly guy in the 70's and 80's with the moustache who'd let you choose your own 10p mix up.
The others also lasted into the 90's until I suppose the spread of local big supermarket chains.

The Ermington Crescent shops were L-R The Hardware shop, A haberdashers?, Another Dillons, A ladies' Hairdressers and The Chippy.

The hardware shop used to smell of wood and paraffin and was full of aisles of boxes and all sorts of ephemera. I was always asked not to touch. The Dillons I spent a small fortune in Airfix kits and paints and had a disused bubblygum dispenser outside for ages that I remember being fascinated with. Also had one of those plastic charity dogs outside you put your change into for a bit (remember them?) A Cypriot (?) family used to run the chippy which was always a treat for us. Exotic for the time - they were looked upon fondly by everyone and stayed there for as long as I can remember.

The Shawsdale Rd shops were known as "The Precinct" in my day and featured a Co-op and Co-op butchers (which my mum always used to complain about the steep prices) A Chemist, A strange electrical shop that sold records, Stephens, a clothes store and haberdashers run by a well-spoken younger man (many a school uniform was bought there), A butchers, A bookies and a Fruit & Veg shop. A Video shop opened up there in the 80's and did a roaring trade until technology moved on.

castalla

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Hi Oakdale.
Remember All those things you mentioned back in late 60's early 70's, the  greengrocers in the precinct run by a Indian  couple  and had my very  first Samosa from them, remember the outdoor selling beer from the pump when you took your bottle in, they  were some relation to ,my mother , there was also a barbers shop and he had all the TyPhoo photos  of football players on the wall

oakdale71

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 02:50:55 PM »
Hi Castalla,

Thanks for posting the pics! My dad is still in the family home, I'll see if he's got any photos next time I visit.

WAG

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 05:31:51 PM »
Hi all,
         New to the forum but does anyone have any recall of 34 Chipperfield road Hodge Hill, it now a Tesco express, but my Grandmother had this shop in the 1940s, it was a groceries and provisions/ cafe in those days. any recollections or photos of shopfront would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

castalla

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:03:03 PM »
Wag bit before my time, lived there from a baby in 57 till early 70´s, the shop you are talking about was a newsagents taken over by Dillons newsagents (what ever happened to them) next door was a Gads cake / Bread shop, then a off licence next to that, then I think a  Butchers then i think a general Store then  Green Grocers Teddy Haynes i think had a shop at the Fox and Goose, Same as you would love to see pics of old shops. oakdale 71 was going to ask his dad if he had any photos. Went to have a look around that area 2 years ago(Millinghton Road  where i lived) brought back many  memories of my younger days, what would our ancestors  think today if they could see what's it like today did you live in the afrea ¿

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy