Author Topic: RICHARDS OF ASTON PICTURE  (Read 7260 times)

Gerry Taylor

RICHARDS OF ASTON PICTURE
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:55:11 PM »
This is a picture of the company outing. "RICHARDS OF ASTON" Pork Butchers, stood on the corner of Bracebridge Street & High Street Aston. My Mom & Dad are at the front centre, Mom is in the light coloured coat, next to my Dad in his mac, my Dad was "Harry Taylor" who managed the shop.  The man seated fourth along to the right from Mom is Teddy Farr, he is in the black suit, he was the boss of both this company & "Farr & Smiths" also pork butchers. Thanks, Gerry Taylor.

Gerry Taylor

Re: RICHARDS OF ASTON PICTURE
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Amazing that no one from Aston or the area has commented on this photograph. I think that there must be whole families that are in this picture. The Pork butchers became "FARR & SMITH" a few months later. It was on the corner of BRACEBRIDGE STREEt, and HIGH STRET, Aston.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi Gerry

Perhaps it may be because this photo (or part of it has been posted to the forum before ) It didn't seem to raise much interest then as I suppose it would have only been of interest to those people that worked there.

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5146.msg221181#msg221181

Myself I always popped into Thompsons for my chitterlings & hodge, & pigs trotters whenever we passed by, well my uncle did and I always stocked up on bacon & sausage.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheppy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:21:36 PM »
As I lived New John St Aston I knew Richards and Thom
the little meat she could afford in those days

TFarr

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »
My grandad was Harold Edward "Teddy" Farr (1909-1988) The lady to the left of him is my Nana, Constance Alice Taylor Farr (19??-2003) I have this picture, as do my surviving Aunt Sandra and Uncle Martin. My dad, Garvin Edward Farr (1945-2012) and Uncle Dudley Farr (1946-2016) have passed away and I would love to hear more about this time.  Do you have any other pictures, memories or information about Richards or Farr & Smith? Or did you know any other members of my family? I would love to learn more about that time in history. Thank you for your time. Tracy Farr Sullivan, Ontario, Canada

TPT.50

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 07:35:33 AM »
I was born in Pugh Rd B6 but only ever used Thompson's,  they were THE butcher's according to everyone I knew/know.

TFarr

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
Hi Gerry,  For some reason the forum is not allowing me to reply to your message.  There must be a glitch of some sort.  Please send me an email address that I can reply to.  Regards,  Tracy Farr-Sullivan

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:26 PM »
T Farr

Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm afraid you will not be able to answer or send messages to other members until you have made a minimum of five posts to the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

lenbrum

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
in reply to TPT 50 I lived across the road from pugh road from 1949_1969 in Victoria road was you there then, one family I remember was called elms with a daughter Barbara.My name is len shaw mom was edna and dad also len.

TPT.50

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 07:32:46 AM »

Lenbrum,    I was born in 1955 but moved from Pugh Rd in 1959 during the slum clearance and we went to live in Kingstanding,  you may well remember a Marriotts shop nearby, that was my grandfathers, to become my parents shop later,   my fathers family came from Lichfield Rd (down the gulley) and some members of his/my family remained there until the early 70s.

Regards,      Tony.

lenbrum

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
Tony thanks for reply what was your family name and what type of shop was it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy