Author Topic: Gas Street Basin - old photographs  (Read 22774 times)

rachelchoy

Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« on: September 18, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
Hi everyone! I was wondering if you would be able to help me? I am working on a TV programme and we are looking for old photographs (the older the better) of Gas Street Basin?

We are under quite a tight timeframe to finish this show so any help or leads would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
Rachel

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
Hi Rachel

Your best bet would be Birmingham City Central Library Local Studies department, at least you will be sure of the copyright status of anything obtained from their extensive catalogue. Failing that you could contact Professor Carl Chinn at the University of Birmingham or check out his Birmingham Lives site.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rachelchoy

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:49:39 PM »
Thanks Phil. The Central Library has only one photograph which I am waiting to hear back on if I'm allowed to view. I'll try Birmingham Lives and keep searching! If anyone has any postcards of the area that they own or other images please let me know!

Rachel :)

rachelchoy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

Does anybody know recognise this photograph or have any information? (please see attachment)

It's Gas Street Basin in 1913.

I found it online in a presentation done by a staff member at Selly Park Technology, but they can't remember where they found the original image.

Thanks in advance!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:22 PM »
Rachel

Have you tried entering "old photos gas street basin" on the Google Images search engine? There are quite a few old images of the basin on there, all you have to do is trace the image back to it's original site by selecting it and I'm sure that you would be able to sort any copyright issuers from there.

Another avenue would be to try old postcard sites as I understand that copyright only lasts something like 25 years on postcards.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rachelchoy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
Hi Phil, thank you! Yes I have tried numerous searches (as well as a reverse image search for this particular image) and contacted the BCN Society etc. Only problem is I generally can only find images from 1950s upwards but we need ones in the early 1900s.

I think I may have found some from a man who writes books but our editor is still in love with this particular photograph, so just in case anybody recognises it I thought I would post it :) thank you!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:27:43 PM »
Rachel

here are a couple of old photos of the basin, I have no idea of the copyright on them and I have no idea of the age. At least on the forum we can withdraw them if there is a copyright claim. Though I don't suppose you can do that with a television programme, so I would advise if you decide that they are useable that you check them out first.

I suppose you have tried the obvious  sources such as Carl Chinn, Alton Douglas and others who produce local pictorial history books?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

AndyC

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »
Hi Rach,

Did you ever find the origin of the Gas Street Basin image?

I am working on a project and would love to use this image.

Thanks,

Andy

JudithM

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 01:11:55 PM »
I work overlooking Gas Street Basin and it's great to see these pictures.  :)

Did any of you see 'Canals - The Making of a Nation' that was on the BBC not so long ago?  Here's the BBC homepage for it - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0689qmh

Gas Street Basin featured heavily in one of the episodes. 

I wonder if this was the tv programme the original poster was working on?
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:40:16 PM »
The attached shot is one of the best I have ever seen of the City of Birmingham, it's worth taking a minute or two to navigate around it - you'll see a number of landmarks we all know and love - but remember the shot was taken 1975 - Symphony Hall etc has not yet been built. No prizes for who gets the highest score of landmark ID's - just respect. O0 O0 O0
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

JudithM

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
That is a fabulous photo.  :D

I work in the courtyard behind where the brown brick warehouse type building is a little up from the bottom on the right.  All of those building have gone now (as have the buildings on the other side of the road) but it's nice to see some familiar buildings that are still around.

It's also great to be able to see across to Centenary Square without the Hyatt Hotel in the way, and of course there is no Library building next to the Rep either.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy