Author Topic: Gas Street Basin - old photographs  (Read 22800 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »
Here's my City pic again with IDs, if any are wrong please let me know - great if anyone can help with the "?s".
Peg.
P.S. After this pic was taken: If I've got the story right, The James Brindley got built, operated for awhile, closed, fell derelect and was redeveloped again.

I've got doubts "22" is the Jeweller's Church - any suggestions? I'll delay re-posting Version 2 until I've checked, I've got a feeling the Jewellers's Church might be hidden by the tower blocks surrounding the foot of the BT Tower.  :-[
Peg

It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »
I think that 22 is St Pauls in St Pauls Square is that known as the Jewellers Church?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
Judith

Yes number 12 is the old bank, I hadn't noticed that error. Number 20 is Cambridge House being the tower block on the end  of a line (or beginning ) of four just off Cambridge Street.

Thanks for confirming the name of the tower block.  I did look at it this morning when I got off the bus, but there was a really cold wind & I didn't fancy the extra walk to get close enough to see the name  ;D

I think that 22 is St Pauls in St Pauls Square is that known as the Jewellers Church?

That's what I thought too.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
A few more images of the wharf at Gas Street throughout the years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
A few more images of the wharf at Gas Street throughout the years.

What I like most about these is that these views haven't really changed that much.  I know the bottom one is a modern image (the one of the Tap & Spile) but even the really old ones look familiar.  Yes, instead of the church spire in the background you have the Brindley Place clock tower) but many of the other buildings remain the same.

Even the renovated put (Canal House/James Brindley) looks more like the building it replaced now that it has a pitched roof.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Peg Monkey

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 02:24:12 PM »
Thanks Phil, St Paul's is known as the Jeweller's Church. O0
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
Crowd Solving at its best folks .....version2.
Peg. O0
Hint: Use the thread's zoom facility, pic looks a bit grainy but OK.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
A couple more aerial images of the general are from the 1960/70's showing the massive changes to the area taking place.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 01:54:31 PM »
I was just researching something else when I came across something that has made me wonder if I made an error when I named building number 5 on Peg's photo as Lloyd House. I think now there is more of a possibility that it might be in fact The Post & Mail Building.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
I was just researching something else when I came across something that has made me wonder if I made an error when I named building number 5 on Peg's photo as Lloyd House. I think now there is more of a possibility that it might be in fact The Post & Mail Building.

Phil, I think timing is crucial here, "my" pic was taken 1975, now my last memory of that part of the city puts Lloyd House close to the Mail offices, in your last shot Lloyd House has gone I wonder when it was demolished? So there was a time when Lloyd House stood alone, another period when Lloyd House and the Mail offices stood side by side and another time when the Mail offices stood alone. So the question is was Lloyd House standing alone in 1975? - perhaps other threaders can assist?
Peg.
P.S. Trivia: Why was Lloyd House so named? The office block was once the HQ of the giant steel maker Stewart & Lloyd, which became part of British SteeI. After that of course it became the HQ of West Midlands Police.
P.P.S. Great shot of the Mail offices, by the way. I've tried to date it using the cars but no luck.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »
Peg

As far as I am aware, Lloyd House is still standing, the Post & Mail building as far as I am aware was demolished in 2005.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy