Author Topic: Gas Street Basin - old photographs  (Read 22787 times)

JudithM

Re: Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
With the Gas St Basin 1975 Landmark ID Project successfully completed only one thing remains........ O0
Peg.

;D
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2019, 12:30:20 PM »
View towards Gas Street Basin from the Mailbox taken on my way into work earlier this week. The canal is just starting to freeze over.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2019, 11:53:44 PM »
A clearer image of distant St Paul's.......
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2019, 09:36:01 AM »
View towards Gas Street Basin from the Mailbox taken on my way into work earlier this week. The canal is just starting to freeze over.

O0
Peg
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

JudithM

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2019, 12:50:17 PM »
A clearer image of distant St Paul's.......
Peg.
Nice one  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2019, 09:57:39 AM »
A nice view across the basin in what must be the early 1950's at least, before the developers even thought of changing it all. The houses must have been for the canal basin and wharf workers before it was all renovated and turned over to different use. Can anybody remember when Crossroads first hit our television screens in the early 60's one of the characters was supposed to live in one of the canalside houses, I think it might have been what is now the Tap & Spile.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »

a few years back I helped do a cut clean up twice aweek  we would pick the narrow boat up  get the fire going inside and put a few spuds in the oven to have for out lunch  we would then set out with poles and hooks  making our way to gas street and beyond on the way would clear the junk out of the cut and take it to a tipping point beyond gas street this would take us four or five hours   the boats name was the phoenix

has in the bird that come out of the ashes  she had been sunk and left to rot but she was rebuilt  and put to good use you would not believe the things we pulled out  of the cut     happy worth wile days 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »
A nice view across the basin in what must be the early 1950's at least, before the developers even thought of changing it all. The houses must have been for the canal basin and wharf workers before it was all renovated and turned over to different use. Can anybody remember when Crossroads first hit our television screens in the early 60's one of the characters was supposed to live in one of the canalside houses, I think it might have been what is now the Tap & Spile.

Phil was that character named Wilf something ?
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Scipio

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2019, 08:42:27 PM »

Phil I can never forget that little bridge , it was just under that I fell in the canal and almost said goodnight Vienna, as at that time I could not swim
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:45 PM »

Phil was that character named Wilf something ?

It could well have been, I never really watched the programme, but it was always on in our house and you can't help catching glimpses of it. I used to see Roger Tonge? regularly walking through the Bull Ring Centre and occasionally Noel Gordon in the Lounge of the Crown on the opposite corner from the Tow Rope.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »

It could well have been, I never really watched the programme, but it was always on in our house and you can't help catching glimpses of it. I used to see Roger Tonge? regularly walking through the Bull Ring Centre and occasionally Noel Gordon in the Lounge of the Crown on the opposite corner from the Tow Rope.

I know the Crown well Phil , after we'd just got married sometimes  on a Saturday evening there was a few of the ATV Today crowd in there,plus half pint TED, he smoked Park Drive like they were going out of fashion , always immaculately dressed though with a buttonhole
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy