Author Topic: Gas Street Basin - old photographs  (Read 22780 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Gas Street Basin - old photographs
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »

im not sure but I think this is part of gas street basin   this is an old old photo in black and white

with just a tad of colour 

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
Roy

That's the old spur off Gas Street basin that went under the bridge on Bridge Street (closed off now) and led to the loading wharf and canal offices on Suffolk Street. See the attached photo of the offices before they were demolished in the early 1900's. The second photo is of the wharf in 1915 after the offices had been demolished and they were building what took their place.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »

this looks like the same office

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
Yet another image of the offices, this time from inside the wharf.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

baz

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »
Roy

That's the old spur off Gas Street basin that went under the bridge on Bridge Street (closed off now) and led to the loading wharf and canal offices on Suffolk Street. See the attached photo of the offices before they were demolished in the early 1900's. The second photo is of the wharf in 1915 after the offices had been demolished and they were building what took their place.
I love the second picture, I can almost smell the coal !
My mother once told me that, when she was little, a whole crowd of kids would be taken from Gas Street,  "Up the Cut on a coal  boat". The boat was whitewashed inside and the kids would all be in their best cothes, (if they had any of course !). Apparently this was an annual event but I don't know why.
I was wondering if there are any photos that were taken at this time.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
Listen up all you canal anoraks, sorry, enthusiasts, believe me there is a life out there beyond snuggling up to old lock gates and getting high on stagnant canal water - why not take a night off and head for one of the hotest nightspots in town? (at least it was in the 60s) Phil, put that yellow card back in your wallet I'm not about to go off-topic, I am, of course, referring to The Factory in Gas St.
So, rather than put myself at risk by posting an inappropriate image follow this link......
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=466.msg663740#msg663740
Peg.
P.S. Only joking, all that canal restoration work - very commendable.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
A few recognisable landmarks in this 1978 shot - but the real question has to be: Is the shot of a school field trip or is it the annual outing of the Sensible Shoes Society, with everyone marking everyone else on their choice of footwear for the award of the much coveted S3 Cup?
I'll let you decide.
Peg.
P.S. Food for thought: If you were in this party and aged 13 you'd be 54 now.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
Peg

I think your photo of the schoolchildren is obviously a local school study trip, probably from a local school within walking distance there were plenty in the locality to choose from.

As night life was an integral part of the Gas Street Basin locality from the early 60's onward I see no reason why some of the places that were around then should not be mentioned. Surely Martin Hones Opposite Lock club later to become Bobby Browns is worth a mention. The Rum Runner one of my old haunts (not often) also is surly worth a mention. As it was these establishments that put Broad Street on it's way to being the entertainment centre of Birmingham
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
Roy

Such a shame they knocked this down  >:(
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

JudithM

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 01:17:45 PM »
A nice view across the basin in what must be the early 1950's at least, before the developers even thought of changing it all. The houses must have been for the canal basin and wharf workers before it was all renovated and turned over to different use. Can anybody remember when Crossroads first hit our television screens in the early 60's one of the characters was supposed to live in one of the canalside houses, I think it might have been what is now the Tap & Spile.

Those canal side houses are still there, just cleaned up a bit & as you say used for something else now (pubs & restaurants).  Looking at a picture I took recently from the exact same angle the main change is what is in the background on Gas Street.  There's a multi-storey car park where the white building on the photo is.

My Gran was addicted to Crossroads!
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2019, 03:01:41 PM »
I must have posted this before on here, it's my favourite photo of Gas Street basin. If I have then I know I would have said that I hope that the photographer gave this old gentleman of the road or perhaps canal a few bob for his time and for posing for him.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy