Author Topic: Elmdon  (Read 8306 times)

frederick

Re: Elmdon
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 02:49:26 PM »
Hi Dave,
I have must got the plane number wrong. It did have four props and it wasn't a turbo it was the old piston engines. Would you know which model it was.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
In 1967 we flew to Italy and back on holiday from Elmdon in  DC 9 a four prop engined job.
[/quote

Around that time it could have been  a Bristol Britannia. One had a serious crash in Cyprus as I remember
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

dave1954

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2019, 11:51:39 PM »
Could have been what spud said bristol britannia , if not it could have been a Vanguard  ::)

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »
I know Birmingham Airport has been that for many years but to me it will always be Elmdon - Planes landing approach over Brownhills - Streetly - Sutton Park and Erdington, specfically The Lyndhurst Estate, from the 60s the flashing beacon of Elmdon could be seen from the window of a 6th floor flat, as nearby trees grew you needed to go higher.
You could almost see the colour of the pilot's eyes if his plane flew really low over my parents tower block flat and you were using the roof-top laundry drying area, at night it was like Close Encounters of th Third Kind.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

JudithM

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
I know Birmingham Airport has been that for many years but to me it will always be Elmdon - Planes landing approach over Brownhills - Steetly - Sutton Park and Erdington, specfically The Lyndhurst Estate, from the 60s the flashing beacon of Elmdon could be seen from the window of a 6th floor flat, as nearby trees grew you needed to go higher.
You could almost see the colour of the pilot's eyes if his plane flew really low over my parents tower block flat and you were using the roof-top laundry drying area, at night it was like Close Encounters of th Third Kind.
Peg.
I used to keep my horse nearby & there were some of the landing lights in the bottom field. The planes would be very low over that bit of land on take off or landing.  Concorde was very loud!

One of my childhood memories is of the airships that used to come over from when they used to have trips from Elmdon Airport.  You'd hear the distinctive engine noise before you saw them & it was always a bit exciting.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
Could have been what spud said bristol britannia , if not it could have been a Vanguard  ::) 

There were only 44 Vanguards built introduced in 1960 and retired in 1996 Main user BEA
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

frederick

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2019, 05:09:33 PM »
My late wife's parents lived at Hampton in Arden and we would be in the garden and when the jets came into land they were just above us we could see the Pilot, would be about one mile from the runway.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy