Author Topic: Elmdon  (Read 8307 times)

RoyMcC

Elmdon
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
Hi all,
I don't know if Elmdon can legitimately fall into this sub-forum. I'm just back from a rare visit to Brum and I had a nice little wander around the area. I'm left with a couple of questions, just to satisfy a bit of curiosity.

1. Can anyone tell me when Elmdon Hall was finally demolished? It was certainly in use in 1910 but had gone by the 50s.

2. When we were kids we used to wonder about a brick & concrete bunker that still lies just off the main A45 across the road from Hatchford Brook golf course. It's still there and I can't imagine its original purpose. Possibly some sort of shelter but I think it would pre-date WW2.

Look forward to any comments, thank you  :)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Elmdon
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »
Hi Roy

I've put this topic on it's own thread for you as Elmdon is a little way from Hay Mills, also it might attract more response this way. Elmdon Hall was finally demolished in 1956 after being empty for many years and being allowed to fall derelict.

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about the bunker you describe but if I can find any information on it I will let you know. In the meantime perhaps someone with local knowledge might have the answer.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
Thank you Phil, appreciated. Nice pic. The site of the Hall is marked by a beacon now. They've done a great job in making Elmdon Park an amenity.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
Roy

Looking at the maps I would think your bunker disappeared when a second lane was added to the A45 if I remember correctly that would have been sometime in the 80's. Unless it was further back from the road.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

RoyMcC

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
No, it was still there on Monday Phil, just in the trees off the main road  :)  It doesn't seem to be of any importance but I'm just curious.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:03:41 AM »
hi roy welcome to the forum

A former World War two military airfield opened in 1939, now a civil airport. The airfield at Elmdon was used as an Elementary Flying Training School (for 51 Group) during World War Two. The wartime airfield had two intersecting concrete runways and was provided with a number of Blister and Bellman type aircraft hangars as well as utilising civillian hangars.

all round  Elmdon  in the war years you would find defence bunker  protecting Elmdon airport there is still one or two about

it does not help you much I know but just a bit of interest and info
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

RoyMcC

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
Thank you roy one. That would make perfect sense. Now you mention it the bunker is pretty much in alignment with old SW/NE runway so may have been to do with defence, communication or suchlike. As you say, other similar constructions probably remain where they're not getting in the way of 'progress'.

Anyone else remember when it was a day out to go to Elmdon Airport, sit on the grass with a picnic and watch the planes? There used to be hundreds of people there on a fine Sunday afternoon.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
hi roy
             yes I did a few times I was took there   

do you remember the tower with the green and white light when you come past  Elmdon it was on the left hand side of the road going to Coventry

when I went there to see the planes it was all props no jets  I seen a few war time planes there that would be about 1951  how I got there and who took me I can not remember  I do remember seeing a tiger moth take off   
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Spud

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 11:52:35 AM »
I remember the first time we flew. We took our two kids to the old Elmdon Airport they had an observation 'Lounge' we sat there for hours watching the planes. If I remember correct my girls went on an Aeroplane before they ever went on a Train
I have another little story about Elmdon Airport.
When I was at work we 'Lost' 50 Aluminium Bodies each was about as big as Microwave Oven and packed in special protective Boxes so they were exactly inconspicuous  and as they were for use on Military Aircraft not the sort of thing you wanted to fall into the wrong hands. They had come in from our German Sister company and I guess they were worth at least a couple of thousand pounds each. Recognising my detective prowess I was given the task of finding them. My first port of call was the Customs Hall in the Old Airport. Surprisingly I was allowed inside I suppose it was my honest face. There was all sorts in there but not our Bodies. I traced the lorry's route all over Brum still no sign. I returned empty handed. Some weeks later one of our Works Engineers said to me when the f... are you going to shift these f.....g things. Some how they had been received into the wrong stores and works engineers being works engineers not realising the value and the urgency simply stuck them in a corner  and when they got in the way decided it was time to get they moved on !!!
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

RoyMcC

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »
I don't quite go back to 1951 Roy, maybe late 50s/early 60s. You could book pleasure flights - a spin around the area - for ten shillings or something, in a Dakota I guess. I was never tempted and still don't like flying.

Spud I'll bet the Customs people were looking out for way different stuff back then than nowadays.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy