Author Topic: Elmdon  (Read 8303 times)

Boz

Re: Elmdon
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
hi roy
             yes I did a few times I was took there   

do you remember the tower with the green and white light when you come past  Elmdon it was on the left hand side of the road going to Coventry

when I went there to see the planes it was all props no jets  I seen a few war time planes there that would be about 1951  how I got there and who took me I can not remember  I do remember seeing a tiger moth take off

I went with my parents in the late 1940s I think on a Sunday day out, and had my first flight there in a DH Rapide, a two engined biplane with about six or eight seats and although I didn't fly again until I was posted on National Service to Egypt in 1954, that first flight was magical and convinced me air travel was my preferred method of travel.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:02 PM »
The last time I used Elmdon airport was in 1973 when flying to Jersey. It was a five day visit and it cost about £45 including flight and hotel. You wouldn't even get a meal in the hotel now for £45.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Spud

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
You just watch it young Roy MacC I am only talking the 1970s. Only joking but I did get into some places remember being invited to the ROF in Leeds they made Tanks and Armoured Carriers. I really was  interrogated there but once they were OK with us it was a great experience.
Regards.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

RoyMcC

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »
My first-ever flight was Elmdon - Cork on a Derby Aviation Dakota. It can't have been long after Cork Airport opened.

frederick

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
RoyMcc,
During the WW2 there were big guns and search lights at Sheldon to try and shoot down German bombers heading to bomb the spitfire factory at Castle Bromwich so that may be the answer for them.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

RoyMcC

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
Possibly frederick, but it doesn't look to me like this particular construction was set up as an offensive position. I'd be interested to know if there are records of the locations of those positions in Sheldon though. Where Elmdon Hall stood would have been where I'd have put one, with those great views to the south.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »
hi roy mcc   ok if you go on to Google earth and put in Elmdon heath  you will find blue markers this will tell you the gun emplacements alos barrage bloons   emplacements just have a look round the a45  you will find what your looking for  hope this helps roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

RoyMcC

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 09:10:52 PM »
hi roy mcc   ok if you go on to Google earth and put in Elmdon heath  you will find blue markers this will tell you the gun emplacements alos barrage bloons   emplacements just have a look round the a45  you will find what your looking for  hope this helps roy

Bingo! It's marked as WW2 Shelter on Google Earth, though that of course doesn't tell the full story. Thank you for that lead  O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 09:18:18 PM »
hi roymcc glade to help  all journeys start with the first step your on your way  O0

also if you bring up elmdon heath on google and you go on to time line you will go back in time with photos of that time that might help to
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

WILLIAMARNOLD

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 03:54:10 PM »
Hi all,
I don't know if Elmdon can legitimately fall into this sub-forum. I'm just back from a rare visit to Brum and I had a nice little wander around the area. I'm left with a couple of questions, just to satisfy a bit of curiosity.

1. Can anyone tell me when Elmdon Hall was finally demolished? It was certainly in use in 1910 but had gone by the 50s.

2. When we were kids we used to wonder about a brick & concrete bunker that still lies just off the main A45 across the road from Hatchford Brook golf course. It's still there and I can't imagine its original purpose. Possibly some sort of shelter but I think it would pre-date WW2.

Look forward to any comments, thank you  :)

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
Never sat on the grass atElmdon but stood on the railway station bridge and watched the planes take off in the 50sFirst flight was in an Elizabethan twin prop to Jersey in 1960
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy