Author Topic: ingleby street,birmingham  (Read 8645 times)

julia ashfield

Re: ingleby street,birmingham
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
Hi Chris, there's not a fat lot of the old Birmingham left is there?  I suppose the clearance of some of the more derelict areas was inevitable.

I actually grew up in Redditch, but my Ancestry investigations have led me to explore the old areas of Aston, Duddeston, Ladywood etc.  It seems most of my great-greats were in the pub trade, which could explain a lot!!  I wish my Dad was still alive so I could ask him how much he knew about these old places.  Not a great deal I think because his own grandfather died young and his father drifted away from central Birmingham after WW1.

I still find it all fascinating though and feel very proud that my forbears came from where they did.

My granny grew up in Aston and at one time their address was the back of something, Sand Street, which  am guessing was a really poor area.

Oh to be a time traveller and be able to go back and visit!!!

Kind regards, Julia

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Chris Coleman

Re: Sand Street
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 05:34:40 PM »
Hi,

the locations of both The Swan and The Ingleby arms -

"pubshistory.com/Warwickshire/Birmingham1911/index.shtml"

Chris.

:)

Chris Coleman

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 02:30:50 AM »
Magician, I guess that there was indeed a Swan Pub in Ingleby street, possibly it's the same pub which was renamed sometime before the 1950s.

The list I referenced does mention two Swan (pubs) in Ladywood but goes into no details about the one in Ingleby street.

By the way map is upside down - The doctors house should be at the top of the Hill on the right.

All The Best, Chris.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 02:25:54 PM »
I have moved this topic here as it seems to be developing more about the history of Ingleby Street than just photos of it.

Chris

All UK maps are orientated with north at he top for convenience sake, if they are turned another way when posted then the place names would be upside down.

I have attached a list of all the White Swan public houses in Birmingham c1950. The Ingleby Arms was always called just that from the mid 1800's when I suspect it first opened. The White Swan until 1938 was recorded as a beer retailer and therefore had no listed name in the trade directories. Of course it might have had a name that I was known as by the locals, it might even have been a different one to the White Swan though I doubt it, but all things are possible.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Chris Coleman

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 02:57:12 PM »
Phil,

yes thank you - I was just letting Magician know so that he/she could orient theirself correctly ?

Regarding the White Swan in Ingleby Street, its a bit strange but maybe it disappeared before 1950 when I was born so I never knew of it,  or perhaps I just plain forgot but I don't think so ?

Chris.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 03:26:37 PM »
Chris

As far as I can ascertain, the White Swan was sill open in 1963 which is the last entry I can find for it in the trade directories. I think this was pretty much the same time as Ingleby Street disappeared under redevelopment.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pete smith

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
Mr Magician - yes I'm sure I knew your family and I can remember someone in your yard being fascinated with tortoises - it's not entirely clear but I was up there one day and someone made a point of informing me that  the person living there had a tortoise - I was not that impressed because I also had a tortoise called 'Tom'.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that your parents and mine were pretty good friends ..

Chris Coleman.

pete smith

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »
hi there my name is peter and i had a sister linda and my dad is john and mother margaret and i lived there

Chris Coleman

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 01:58:42 PM »
Hi,

I can recollect a few names - Phillip Paulton, Paul Whittaker, Anne Whittaker, Mrs Williams[/size][size=78%] (spent most of the sitting on her step), thinking back I think I had your sister's name mixed up with a different name.[/size]

Anyway I'm interested in the Ingleby street community of the 50s and very early 60s so thanks for the update, and anything you can add.

Chris Coleman.

Vulcan

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 08:04:24 PM »
Hi
I lived at 4 back of 23 Ingleby St from around 1956 (4 year old) to around 1963 (11 year old), the Ingleby pub was next door and I can remember going to bed at night listening to people in the pub singing.  My main memories are around playing with loads of other kids from the street on the old bomb sites, the local library, Harborne baths and the laundrette on the next street (Spring Hill?).  I think I have an old photo of the garden and yard showing the roof of the pub next-door, i will look it out and post later.

Cheers

Jim Brophy ( Mom Pearl, Dad Seamus)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy