Author Topic: ingleby street,birmingham  (Read 8650 times)

themagician

ingleby street,birmingham
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »
I used to live in ingleby st in the 1955/1960 I think it was behind the white swan pub,just looked at a pic of the pub and there is an alley way to the left of the pub,i believe that up the alley way behind the pub were 4 houses in a kind of court yard setting,i believe I lived at the top house on the left, just after the outside toilet and wash room on the left half way up the courtyard.
is there anybody who knows wether this is correct or not and if the local primary school was down the bottom of the road and turn left and it was somewhere around that area.i was about 5yrs of age then.
any info or pics greatfully respected.
my surname is Smith,parents names john & Margaret had one other brother and one older sister.

themagician

Re: ingleby street,birmingham
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
still no joy on any info for this topic. :-\

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »
Hi Magician

Sorry I must have missed this request for help, first of all welcome to the forum, Sometimes it will go a long time before you get an answer to this sort of question. One day someone will be cruising through Google looking for memories of Ingleby St and they will come across your post so they will contact the forum and you never know it could be one of your childhood mates that you used to play in your back court with.

I have no personal knowledge of Ingleby St other than it is gone now and no trace whatsoever of it remains. I have been able to work out the court that you lived in was 3 Court as you can see on the attached section of map. I've also attached the only two photos I have of Ingleby that I have they are both of the White Swan.

I hope this has been of some help to you and at least you know you are not being ignored.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Chris Coleman

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:47 AM »
Hi - yes I lived in Ingleby Street from 1950 until about 1962 or 1963, The school you're thinking of was The  Steward Street primary and as you guessed was at the bottom of the hill in Spring Hill Passage - I think the shop on the corner was called Peacocks.

I knew a family called Smith but they lived further up the Hill from me, but apart from that the description is about correct, there father who was very friendly with mine was a photographer, I seem to remember the daughters name was Teresa ?

I lived almost opposite the pub, just up the hill a bit?

Chris Coleman.

julia ashfield

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Hi Magician

Sorry I must have missed this request for help, first of all welcome to the forum, Sometimes it will go a long time before you get an answer to this sort of question. One day someone will be cruising through Google looking for memories of Ingleby St and they will come across your post so they will contact the forum and you never know it could be one of your childhood mates that you used to play in your back court with.

I have no personal knowledge of Ingleby St other than it is gone now and no trace whatsoever of it remains. I have been able to work out the court that you lived in was 3 Court as you can see on the attached section of map. I've also attached the only two photos I have of Ingleby that I have they are both of the White Swan.

I hope this has been of some help to you and at least you know you are not being ignored.

Hi Folks,

I was extremely interested to spot this post, although I am afraid I am unable to help the original enquiry.  My interest is in the pub, which is stated as being The White Swan.  In the course of my family history search, I discovered that my Great-great-grandfather appears to have been the landlord of the Ingleby Arms in 1881.  I managed to find a picture of the Ingleby Arms, or so I thought but it looks to be one and the same building as The White Swan.  Does anyone know if it changed its name at any stage?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »
Hi Julia

Welcome to you, I have posted a photo of the Ingleby Arms which was at 24 Inglby Street and as you can see it is a different pub to the White Swan a few doors away at number 10. Besides I think one was a M & B House and the other Ansells.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

julia ashfield

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »
Hi Julia

Welcome to you, I have posted a photo of the Ingleby Arms which was at 24 Inglby Street and as you can see it is a different pub to the White Swan a few doors away at number 10. Besides I think one was a M & B House and the other Ansells.

Thank you for that, Phil.  I thought it was the same building as I was looking at the upper Windows...Just thought at some stage the doorway and lower part changed along with the name.

Chris Coleman

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »
Hi Julia - et al - well I lived more or less opposite the pub although I don't recognize it as The Swan, The Ingleby sounds about right and the picture too, In fact my father was awarded a bravery certificate (!) because he rescued someone or someone from a fire that occurred there I think that must have been in about 1956, being only about 6 then time was not an issue.

There were not 2 pubs at that location but I do remember at the top of the hill and around to the left going towards the library past the then derelict ballroom was another pub and it looked just like The White Swan mentioned above.

Chris Coleman.

Chris Coleman

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 01:41:27 AM »
Mr Magician - yes I'm sure I knew your family and I can remember someone in your yard being fascinated with tortoises - it's not entirely clear but I was up there one day and someone made a point of informing me that  the person living there had a tortoise - I was not that impressed because I also had a tortoise called 'Tom'.

Anyway I'm pretty sure that your parents and mine were pretty good friends ..

Chris Coleman.

julia ashfield

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 07:18:53 AM »
Hi Julia - et al - well I lived more or less opposite the pub although I don't recognize it as The Swan, The Ingleby sounds about right and the picture too, In fact my father was awarded a bravery certificate (!) because he rescued someone or someone from a fire that occurred there I think that must have been in about 1956, being only about 6 then time was not an issue.

There were not 2 pubs at that location but I do remember at the top of the hill and around to the left going towards the library past the then derelict ballroom was another pub and it looked just like The White Swan mentioned above.

Chris Coleman.

Hi Chris, thanks for replying.  I can see now by looking at the two photos the Ingleby and the White Swan are slightly different.  The White Swan has an entry way to the left.  Your Dad must have been very brave to go into a burning building to rescue someone.

None of it is there any longer, I suppose?

My folks lived there way back in the 1800's.

Chris Coleman

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
Hi Julia, yes I thought they were remarkably similar but check the space between the Windows and then the amount of slope on the pavement, The Swan was on a short but steeper hill.

You're correct there's nothing there now - Well there's a few bits' The Steward Primary School remains but is no longer a school, the Library remains and some of the industrial buildings- it's really nothing like it used to be..

We used to play on bomb sites, in derelict buildings, along the canal and the railway tracks but there was not much else, and as a young male that was great fun.

Anyway I digress ..

Best Wishes, Chris.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy