Author Topic: Larches passage from Highgate rd end.  (Read 8300 times)

cocacolakid

Larches passage from Highgate rd end.
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of Larches Passage from the Highgate Rd end, please ??

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Larches passage from Highgate rd end.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
Malc

This is one of Mikejees, I'm sure he won't mind me posting it as I know he has posted it before. It shows Larches Passage in between Buck Chinns bookies and the Electrical Engineers. This must have been in the early sixties because before that the bookies was a Chippy.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
A couple of places had had a lick of paint since ai was last down in 1950s
Integrity is non negotiable

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
Malc

This is one of Mikejees, I'm sure he won't mind me posting it as I know he has posted it before. It shows Larches Passage in between Buck Chinns bookies and the Electrical Engineers. This must have been in the early sixties because before that the bookies was a Chippy.

Phil..

Thanks for that.  I was trying to recall what was around Larches Passage, the photo shows it clearly.  O0

Malc.

noni

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
The photo brings back memories.  I lived on the corner where the shop with the blue front is, just on the edge of the picture.  I am pretty certain that is where I lived.  The front was a shop but was not used.  We just used the rooms at the back and above the shop.  My dad was Don March, my mum was Janet March

cocacolakid

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »
The photo brings back memories.  I lived on the corner where the shop with the blue front is, just on the edge of the picture.  I am pretty certain that is where I lived.  The front was a shop but was not used.  We just used the rooms at the back and above the shop.  My dad was Don March, my mum was Janet March

Noni...

In your earlier post you said you lived behind and above a shop on the corner of Highgate Rd and Larches St. If that is so I am puzzled. I am sure that there was a pub on the corner of Highgate Rd and Larches St. I am sure Phil will know, and correct me if I am wrong. The shop you say you lived in, shown in the photo, would have been on the corner of Highgate Rd and Marshall St. Marshall St joined Larches St at the other end from Highgate Rd.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Malc

The pub on the corner of Larches St was my old local "The Talbot". Noni obviously meant on the corner of Highgate Rd and Larches Passage.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »
Malc

The pub on the corner of Larches St was my old local "The Talbot". Noni obviously meant on the corner of Highgate Rd and Larches Passage.

Phil..

That makes sense, just a slip by Noni O0    I knew there was a pub on the corner of larches St but could not recall the name, I never used pubs myself, still don't. I remembered that you said it was one of your haunts.

Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 12:47:03 PM »
Malc

Only one in a long list.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
Malc

Only one in a long list.

O0 O0 O0                                                                                  Malc.                                                                

[size=78%]    [/size]

noni

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »

Noni...

In your earlier post you said you lived behind and above a shop on the corner of Highgate Rd and Larches St. If that is so I am puzzled. I am sure that there was a pub on the corner of Highgate Rd and Larches St. I am sure Phil will know, and correct me if I am wrong. The shop you say you lived in, shown in the photo, would have been on the corner of Highgate Rd and Marshall St. Marshall St joined Larches St at the other end from Highgate Rd.

Malc.

No we were on the opposite corner.  The shop in the picture is the one with the white painted brickwork.  The front was a shop but it was never used, we just used the rooms at the back and the bedrooms above.   The back yard led out to a wider back yard and there was a small workshop there with two lathes.  You went out of the larger Yard and down a passage that led to Larches passage.  The derelict shop two doors away from our place was a fully working shop when I was there so the picture must be mid 60s.  I know our place was compulsory purchased by the council.

The remains of Larches Street is still there, at the Ladypool Road end.

On looking at The Birmingham History Forum I now know the pub I visited once when I was a child.  The one entrance was in Long Street and the other was in Larches Street You could walk from one road to the next down an alleyway.  I remember sitting on an upturned beer barrel drinking Orangeade.  (Only did it the once).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy