Author Topic: Sad news about CURRY.  (Read 12265 times)

Ray Harrison

Sad news about CURRY.
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
In the press the sad news that SALEEMS curry shop on the Ladypool Rd is to close November 1st. After 45 years of trading ,One of the first curry / balti shops in the area due to lack of trade. I  have been a customer and friend with the owner for the last 43 years and am sad they have to close. I wish them all the best for the future .
BUD

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Sad news about CURRY.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
Original Birmingham Balti restaurant to close down after 45 ...

www.birminghammail.co.uk/.../original-birmingham-balti-restaurant-clo...

20 hours ago - Co-owner Saleem Waheed described the closure as 'like a bereavement.' ... “We were the very first Balti Triangle restaurant in the Ladypool ...
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
The trouble is, there are just too many curry houses around Balsall Heath now. Not only do they have to fight each other for the dwindling trade that's available because of less people using pubs now, but they also have to fight off the higher class establishments in more salubrious surroundings.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
In the press the sad news that SALEEMS curry shop on the Ladypool Rd is to close November 1st. After 45 years of trading ,One of the first curry / balti shops in the area due to lack of trade.

Earlier this year, my wife an I made the journey over to Ladypool Rd from Worcester, to have a Balti. We were disappointed to find them all closed.   We ended up buying fish and chips and sitting in the car to eat them.  How can they complain about lack of trade when they are not open during the day??

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »
Its true the Balti triangle has run its course , and that the demise of pubs and clubs in the area all these things have one because they done fit in with the Muslim way of life.  The remainder of curry shops tend to look for the upper class market. Looking back it was only the coming of Balti that gave the area a extended life.
BUD

townie

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »
It is so sad to see the first Birmingham curry shop close
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

maggie

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:37 AM »
It amuses me the word  CURRY...that word is Indian for GRAVY
do unto others as you would be done by

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »
Maggie

It's not so funny when you think that the word gravy is only another word for sauce. Most curries are only a basic sauce with other added ingredients. If you go into most curry shop Kitchens you will find that the largest saucepan in the place will be full of this basic curry sauce.

Saleem's wasn't the first curry shop in Birmingham, but it may have been the worlds first Balti house, but that's something we will never know for sure as that information has been lost with time. In fact it was far from being the first curry house in Balsall Heath & Sparkbrook as I think the Jinnah on Moseley Rd must claim that honour.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:40:16 AM »
the first curry house to open in brum was on the Mosley road  and I think that would be about 1960 to 1963  they did not do takeaways has such but if you took a saucepan  they would put a curry in that  you would get rice and curry chicken or lamb  for 25p five bob in real money  that would feed three of you  the curry shop it self had four tables  and plastic  table covers  and they killed the chickens out the back not sure about the lamb   
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ray Harrison

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
Roy , would that e the Gulistan I went there in early 60s , before Ladypool rd took off. There was also a small curry shop in Gooch st ,you could pick your own chicken round the back and return later to eat it. On Stratford Rd near Formans Rd and is still there you can order a full leg of lamb ,They butterfly it cook in  spices etc, very nice but its for 5/6 people, we had one last year £18 plus roti,s. ( they dont allow booze ). As Maggie said it is gravy but there is many different ways to make the gravy. Most Balti,s use a lot of mustard seed and coriander and served in the Balti dish. You can even get a Birmingham Balti in India . I also seen a Birmingham Balti shop in a town called Terrigal just out side Sydney.
BUD

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
Ray

I think that Roy is on about the Jinnah the same as me, it was opposite the Haden St car park on Moseley Rd where the Dulux Centre is now. It closed down sometime in the mid 70's and then we moved up the road to the Gulistan ourselves.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy