Author Topic: Sad news about CURRY.  (Read 12267 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Sad news about CURRY.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
hi ray

would that e the Gulistan  sorry ray I can not remember the name of the place  phil might know  but that was not my first time to have a curry  I was eating real home made  curry type food long before that I think it would be about 1957 or there about  I got that off my next door  but it was nothing like the food in the curry houses of today but I know one thing it was so good the one on Mosley road  was between the mosley picture house and the imperial  about half way between it was on the same side has the imperial  it was a long time ago ray I was living in hick street at the time so it was only up the road
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »
Roy

The Gulistan was along Moseley Rd near Bradford St. I'll tell you another great place we used to get into on a Saturday afternoon when the pub closed and before the curry houses opened and that was The Irish Restaurant The Emerald that was on Moseley Rd up by Brighton Rd. They did great steaks there, we often had a steak there about 3 o clock then made our way to the only curry house that we knew that opened early and that was the Raz Nur near Small Heath Park have a curry and then be back at the pub by opening time at five thirty.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

trapio

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
Roy

The Gulistan was along Moseley Rd near Bradford St. I'll tell you another great place we used to get into on a Saturday afternoon when the pub closed and before the curry houses opened and that was The Irish Restaurant The Emerald that was on Moseley Rd up by Brighton Rd. They did great steaks there, we often had a steak there about 3 o clock then made our way to the only curry house that we knew that opened early and that was the Raz Nur near Small Heath Park have a curry and then be back at the pub by opening time at five thirty.

Well done Phil - that was a truly gruelling timetable to maintain every Saturday - week in week out ;D
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »
I didn't have my first takeaway curry until the late 70's, but, riding the wave of early enthusiasm for them, I decided to try a REAL curry in an Indian restaurant whilst on a day trip to Llandudno.     Fans of that resort will know Mostyn Street, and I found one down there and went in to find that I was the only customer.     I ordered up, and then waited forever for the meal to arrive. ::)       When It did, it was swimming in more oil than they've got in Saudi Arabia :o , but, to be fair it did taste nice. O0       I wasn't exactly 'ill' afterwards, but my stomach didn't feel quite right for about 3 days afterwards. :-\      I think they 'saw me coming'. ;D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
I think iv found the first curry house to start in brum its by Vincent street on the mosley road next to jays snax its a little white painted shop with nest curtains

im 99% sure its the shop 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
Roy

In the 50's that was a Chippy, I think the name of the owner then was White, it later was owned by the Bird family and I used it all the time. It was still owned by them in the 70's when we opened our first yard at the top of Balsall Heath Rd.

As far as I am aware the first curry shop to open along the Moseley Rd was the Jinnah at the top of Ombersley Rd next to the Bike shop in what used to be a second hand shop.

I don't know where the first curry house in Birmingham was, but the Shah Jahan at the end of Dale End has got to be a contender as it was there in the early 50's to my personal knowledge.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 04:29:03 PM »
hi ray

would that e the Gulistan  sorry ray I can not remember the name of the place  phil might know  but that was not my first time to have a curry  I was eating real home made  curry type food long before that I think it would be about 1957 or there about  I got that off my next door  but it was nothing like the food in the curry houses of today but I know one thing it was so good the one on Mosley road  was between the mosley picture house and the imperial  about half way between it was on the same side has the imperial  it was a long time ago ray I was living in hick street at the time so it was only up the road
1957 was before my time , I moved to Highgate in 1962 from Handsworth via Aston and Vauxhall.
BUD

Ray Harrison

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
I think Curry has been in the Uk for a long time Queen Victoria was keen on a bit of Indian.
BUD

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
I think it was the English who invented the curry in 18 something or other to kill the taste of bad meat

trapio

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
The Shah Jahan was open in the 1950s - I remember it, and I left in '59.  I was very rarely in brum CC after Easter 1956,  so am pretty sure it was open by then
Integrity is non negotiable

Ray Harrison

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
I didn't have my first takeaway curry until the late 70's, but, riding the wave of early enthusiasm for them, I decided to try a REAL curry in an Indian restaurant whilst on a day trip to Llandudno.     Fans of that resort will know Mostyn Street, and I found one down there and went in to find that I was the only customer.     I ordered up, and then waited forever for the meal to arrive. ::)       When It did, it was swimming in more oil than they've got in Saudi Arabia :o , but, to be fair it did taste nice. O0       I wasn't exactly 'ill' afterwards, but my stomach didn't feel quite right for about 3 days afterwards. :-\      I think they 'saw me coming'. ;D
The oil is usually Ghee (clarified butter)  Its a good sign of best curries , the idea is it forms a seal on top of the food so it can be kept for some time . I have seen Indians complain having not enough oil.
BUD

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy