Author Topic: Sad news about CURRY.  (Read 12266 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Sad news about CURRY.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
its been said that the curry shops in lady pool road are closing down most curry shops depend on locals for there trade  you might get a lot of folk in brum town centre using the curry house because  its part of a night out  but like iv said most depend on locals  for there business now you have to ask who are the locals round lady pool road and are the local folk likely to be going out for currys when they cook currys at home  my local curry shops are all  doing well because the locals do not cook currys at home
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Ray Harrison

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
Quite right Roy , also the shops are feeling the pinch too because a big Asian supermarket has opened up on Stratford Rd which is cheaper than the small local shops.
BUD

Dizzy Di

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
HI there I am new to this site and I was doing a search on Birmingham Curry Houses in Mosely Road Birmingham in the 60's and came up with this thread.

This is such a long shot but anything is worth a try. I am trying to trace a Pakistani man that worked in one of the Curry shops along Mosely Road would have been 1964/1965. My family was the Murphy Family.. . .John, Ethel my grandparents and my mum was Maureen also an Aunty Tina and Uncle Tony. I was not born then but my mum Maureen had my sister and the father was a guy called Tony (prob not his real name) who worked in one of the Curry shops. That's all we know. Because of the shame to the family my sister map adopted. She is now 53 years old and with not much to go on is desperate to trace her roots and find her dad and birth family on her father's side. I was born two years later and my dad was John Tattam we grew up separately obviously but my sister found us all in 1991 and we have been very close ever since. I feel so sad that she has no  knowledge of her father, our mum moved to Holland and sadly passed 2 years ago. Someone may remember something or someone. My Uncle seems to remember the Jinnah curry house. We think the guy. . ..her dad was Pakistani, about 25 years old and called Tony. We also heard he was married hence him not knowing about Michelle and her being adopted. Her birth name was Angela but was changed when she was adopted. It's a very sensitive, difficult and sad situation as her dad and family may not even know she exists. My sister is such a beautiful girl inside and out and has a lovely life but I know just knowing her roots would complete a massive void. If anyone can remember anything please let me know. Thank you

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »

hi dizzy welcome to the forum

now this photo may not be much help to you its the shop with the cross you need to find more about   now this shop was the first on the mosley road to do currys in going back to perhaps 1961 or 1962 it was the only one at that time in fact it was the first if you wanted a takeaway curry you had to take your own pot they would put rice and curry in the pot this would cost you 5 bob or in todays money 25 p

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »
Roy

In the 60's that was Cooks second hand shop and it used to have a snooker room upstairs, I played there often it was next door to Birds chippie. The first curry house on Moseley Road was the Jinnah which was further along and close to Ombersley Road another one of my haunts in the early 60's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
sorry phil I have to disagree with you  that was the shop with the x marked on it it may only have been  a curry house for a short time but it was the first phil how am I so sure well one night I got a curry from there and I went to cross the road when I car come round out of the street and I had to leg it to get out of its was and I did a trip on the curb stone and the curry I was carrying in the pot  went up the wall  I think that would be about 1960  I had two curry's in the pot 10 bobs worth 50p

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »

this is the place I did my trip up the kerb  I will not forget that it may have a long time ago but I got some stick when I got back to where I was living

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
Roy

I lived in Vincent Street which was opposite Cooks second hand shop which had a snooker hall at the rear. It later became a snack bar (never a curry house) and they moved the table upstairs, but after a while it closed when Cookie and his son went in to the games machine business.

My uncle and business partners daughter opened a sandwich bar on the corner of Vincent Street in what was Abe Green's bookies shop but she eventually sold up when she went into business with Cookie's son when they bought Peter Pans Restaurant on the bridge over Walsall Market.

The only curry houses on Moseley Road in the 60's were the Gullistan which was by the Shephers Rest on the corner of Bradford Street and the Jinnah which was near to Ombersley Road. There was a further one which was close to the end of Moseley Road near to Edbaston Road and that was the New Dehli but it was actually on Alcester Road. I used all these curry houses on a regular basis and lived in Balsall Heath and Sparkbrook for a good portion of my life so I should know where these places were.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »
and so did I phil  and so did I we must agree to disagree   that trip up the curb and the loss of two currys and getting some stick must all in my mind  at the time I was living at the top of Franck street I use to come out of there on to the belgrave road then on to the mosley road some times just befor the top of belgrave road was a narrow road I would turn right there and come out not to fare from vinsent street

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 06:20:20 PM »
Roy believe me the curry houses I have named were the only three curry shops on Moseley Road in the 50's 60's and 70's. Are you sure you didn't call into birds chip shop and have a tray of curry sauce and chips. Mind you I don't think it was available in chip shops in the 60's.

The route you are describing would have been up Orchard Road from Belgrave Road to Sherbourne Road then up on to Moseley Road more or less opposite the Jinnah curry house. Why would you walk past there to another supposed curry house when the Jinnah was the best and only one in Balsall Heath for years.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
the place that I went to was the only one there that is why I went  phil we will have to agree to disagree on this one sorry I know where I went and I know where I fell

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy