Author Topic: Sad news about CURRY.  (Read 12270 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Sad news about CURRY.
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Roy there is nothing listed in the trade directories and I also know where I used to play snooker. My mate Roger Lloyd had the hairdressers on the corner of Vincent street where you ay you tripped where two other of my mates worked. I spent a lot of time in that shop chatting to my mates and looking out the window right at the point where this supposed curry shop was.

This is a copy of the listing from the trade directory for those group of shops in 1964 adjacent to the Castle & Falcon pub.

414 Rafigue A. grocer
412 Bird C. H. fried fish dlr
410 Cook Sydney, secondhand furniture dlr
410A, Moloney's Sewing Machines
410 (back of) Billiard & Snooker Social Club
408 Ten Minute Tyre Service Ltd. motor tyre fctrs
402 Castle & Falcon P.H

I know the photo is too early being dated 1949 but it does locate the snooker room as the shop in your photo and it was still there in the 80's when cookie and his ron ran their amusement game machine  business from there. Also it was just opposite there at the top of Balsall Heath Road where we started our business in 1969 and I used to pop into birds chip shop most days so I think I would have moticed a curry house next door.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
like iv said phil we will have to agree to disagree all I know it was the only one there that's why I went
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Scipio

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:20 PM »
Roy believe me the curry houses I have named were the only three curry shops on Moseley Road in the 50's 60's and 70's. Are you sure you didn't call into birds chip shop and have a tray of curry sauce and chips. Mind you I don't think it was available in chip shops in the 60's.

The route you are describing would have been up Orchard Road from Belgrave Road to Sherbourne Road then up on to Moseley Road more or less opposite the Jinnah curry house. Why would you walk past there to another supposed curry house when the Jinnah was the best and only one in Balsall Heath for years.

Phil it was In Bacchus Road Winson Green 68/69
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Scipio

If you are talking about curry sauce, then it might have been one of the first places, but I think the OP was looking for a place earlier in the mid 60's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

aerosolarabic

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2021, 02:04:28 PM »
Hi All

always looking for new pictures of Birmingham's curry houses. I've been gathering for some years. Please do share if anyone has any.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy