Author Topic: The Barracks ?  (Read 11362 times)

Ray Harrison

The Barracks ?
« on: October 25, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
There were several area around Brum called the Barracks . Was there ever any army barracks on these sites? . Eg, Vauxhall Rd / Garrison lane/ washwood heath/ Alum Rock.
BUD

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Barracks ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »
Ray

Yes to Vauxhall Rd where the Ashcroft Estate is now,  a cavalry Barracks that was closed in the 1930's. Yes to Garrison Lane I believe there was a barracks off Garrison Lane and Little Dartmouth Street that closed in the late 1700's it could have been possibly the area where the park is now.

Alum Rock & Washwood Heath and Alum  Rock I'm not sure of,  but most areas had TA barracks so I don't doubt that there were barracks there at sometime.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ray Harrison

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
Phil I can remember seeing disused army sheds at Washwood Heath and Alum Rock. I went out with a girl who lived in the barracks on Garrison Lane they were just flats.  Thanks for the other the other info. I will look it up ,would like to know why army was needed in the city.
BUD

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
Ray

The barracks on Great Brook St were built because of the  Priestly Riots or Birmingham Riots as they were also known that took place in 1791 parliament thought Birmingham needed a cavalry barracks to deal with any further disturbances.

As for the other barracks on Garrison Lane from what I can tell there was a barracks there from early days so who can tell for what reason it was set up for. I believe that up the road the flats you mention The Holmes Estate built in the 1920's were nicknamed the Barracks by the first residents because that is what they looked like.

The Barracks on Alum Rock Rd was on the site of Fern Bank farm just up the road from Southhalls and were a TA barracks, I believe that the farm house remained in the barracks until they were demolished sometime in the 70's I suppose.

I will now see what I can find out about Washwood Heath.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »
Ray

The TA barracks on Washwood Heath Rd were close to Bennetts Rd where Sandway Gardens are now. The barracks of course are gone now like most TA barracks that were opened after the last war.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
There were several area around Brum called the Barracks . Was there ever any army barracks on these sites? . Eg, Vauxhall Rd / Garrison lane/ washwood heath/ Alum Rock.

Shard End had a barracks also
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

blane

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
The mentioned barracks in Washwood Heath and Alum Rock are still in use and used for The Fusiliers Army Cadet Force.The Alum Rock barracks has the practice butts for the cadets. O0 O0 O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 08:54:47 PM »
Blane

Yes there is a cadet hut left at each location, but the barracks have gone.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ChrisGill

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 03:01:49 AM »
THORP st.

cocacolakid

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
There were barracks in Stoney Lane.  They were behind a wall that separated them from the playground of the Dennis Rd annexe, behind the two wooden hut type class rooms. I am sure Phil will recall them. I think they may  still be used, but not sure.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

planetmalc

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
There were barracks in Stoney Lane.  They were behind a wall that separated them from the playground of the Dennis Rd annexe, behind the two wooden hut type class rooms. I am sure Phil will recall them. I think they may  still be used, but not sure.

Malc.

From memory, I think that was also the location of the terminus for the Stoney Lane trams.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy