Author Topic: The Barracks ?  (Read 11343 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Barracks ?
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »
Yes Stoney Lane barracks are still in use today, although the old barracks have been demolished and new buildings replaced the old. I believe there is still a cadet presence with their own hut. The church next door which was the terminus for the trams was demolished or possibly bombed years ago all I know is when I went to Dennis Rd school 58-61 the land had been utilised as an annex for the school and there was a science lab a metalwork room and art room and two classrooms.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »
Phil,
I didn't know that, there used to be a Church on the ground where the annex was/is.   
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 07:35:08 PM »
Phil,
I didn't know that, there used to be a Church on the ground where the annex was/is.   

Yes Fred It was the Sparkbrook Congregational Church, I'm trying to find out if it closed down and was demolished or if it was bombed during the war as it seems to be around the early 40's when it disappeared it was unusual for a church to just close back then.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 08:02:45 PM »
Yes Fred It was the Sparkbrook Congregational Church, I'm trying to find out if it closed down and was demolished or if it was bombed during the war as it seems to be around the early 40's when it disappeared it was unusual for a church to just close back then.

Phil & Malc..

Like Fred, I too am surprised to learn that there was once a church on the site of the Dennis Rd annexe.  Phil, I think there were more than two class rooms, there were the two wooden huts at the bottom of the playground, and there was at least one at the top end, near the road, in the prefabricated block. I recall one of the teachers up there, he was a very short chap named Mr Henessy.

It is interesting to know that there was a tram terminus up Stony Lane, by the barracks, it was not there when I went to Dennis Rd in 1954,  there was just the # 13, 13a buses. It is surprising what you learn 56 yrs on. I guess that is the beauty of the forum!!!

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
Malc

Somewhere among all my books I have a copy a Jules Verne's book presented to me for coming first in a Geography exam that was set by Mr Henessy. Teachers still did things like that back then.

As for the classrooms I have marked them 1 -5 on the attached plan, none of them were a great deal more than temporary structures and the art room was a timber shed.

1. classroom
2. classroom
3. science lab
4. metalwork shop
5. art room

The art room was  in about the position that the church originally stood.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »
Phil..

Thanks for the plan, however things were a bit different when I was there. Classrooms 1&2 are the ones I referred to, but the wooden hut was divided into two separate classrooms in 1954, not an art room. I was in the one on the right as you faced them.  My teacher was Mr Warren.  The playground went around the huts, then there was a high wall beyond which, was the barracks, or part of the barracks which extended down to Stoney Lane. It seems there had been some changes when you were there. you started at Dennis Rd after I had lef in 1958.  If you have not been back recently, you would not recognise the place now.

Malc.

planetmalc

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 03:25:54 PM »
It is interesting to know that there was a tram terminus up Stony Lane, by the barracks, it was not there when I went to Dennis Rd in 1954,  there was just the # 13, 13a buses.

Wikipedia suggests that Stratford Road tram services out to Hall Green stopped on January 5th 1937, and so did the Stoney lane offshoot. :'(      I seem to remember reading somewhere that the decision was taken because of the high cost of refurbishing that part of the system.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

cocacolakid

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »

Wikipedia suggests that Stratford Road tram services out to Hall Green stopped on January 5th 1937, and so did the Stoney lane offshoot. :'(      I seem to remember reading somewhere that the decision was taken because of the high cost of refurbishing that part of the system.

Malc..

Thanks for that bit of interesting info  O0                                                                                               
Malc.

frederick

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 07:06:14 PM »
In class room 5 there was a potters wheel if I remember right, so would have been the art class. The Barracks next door we didn't hear much noise coming from there.

frederick

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
I went to an open day at the Barracks on Stoney lane with a few friends while I was at Dennis rd school. I remember a man in uniform shouting out things in a loud commanding voice      ???

dougmcgill

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 01:56:14 PM »
What happened to  Cateswell  barracks  on Stratford Rd, Hall Green. We used to go dancing there when we were kids.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy