Author Topic: Name of Hotel at the bottom of New Street 1980s (Atari Computer Launch)  (Read 7131 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Name of Hotel at the bottom of New Street 1980s (Atari Computer Launch)
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
Gary

This photo shows that end of New Street around about the 80's. As you can see the only hotel in sight is the then called Central Hotel that is now the Britannia.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Bazza P

I have no idea how old this post is, but I've only just found the website. The hotel in New Street was indeed the Magnum and I opened it as the first sales manager.. along with friend and colleague Steve Chapman as General Manager (sadly no longer with us) in 1973/4. It was actually opposite the Tavern in the Town.. and I remember only too well the bombings of this and The Mulberry Bush. The Magnum became the Centre Hotel. Entrance in alley, stainless steel stairway and big glass chandeliers. Up stairs to coffee shop and 2 restaurants on top floor with great views... the Sur le  Toit French and upmarket and the Flaming Ox steak style and cowhide seating. I have many memories and stories from those day. Went on to Sales Manager at Holiday Inn ATV Centre when Magnum went into administration in late 74.

gary_m_walton

Hi Bazza P and thank you for your comment. I don't suppose you recall the Atari 8-bit computer launch there, do you? It was a Maplin's roadshow as I recall and I've been trying to date it for some time, now. If you have any info, that would be great. Otherwise, appreciate the post and clarification.

Cheers

Gary
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

Bazza P

Sorry Gary. Really can't remember an Atari launch. But the Magnum only existed by that name for a couple of years. Without looking up exact dates... from mid 72/early 73 to Late 74. Conversion from Marshall and Snelgrove. Lots of purples and dark wood.
Best

MALKIN

I believe the Hotel was called " THE QUEENS  HOTEL ''

MALKIN

Re the launch date it was September 11th 1977

gary_m_walton

Re: Name of Hotel at the bottom of New Street 1980s (Atari Computer Launch)
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »
Hi and sorry for not replying - I've only just seen this post. No, I don't think the launch date was 1977 - the Atari computers weren't around then. I know from 'Your Computer' dated October 1981 that a Maplin article within states they are to be going on a road show. So suspect it was around October itself (as the magazine is normally dated a month ahead). Thanks for trying and if anyone can remember, it would make me very happy!
Kind Regards

Gary

gary_m_walton

Just to close this topic off, by pure chance I have now found both the date and hotel in question. The Maplin Atari Birmingham roadshow was at the Centre hotel on the 28th September 198 and was found in a Maplin advert in Personal Computer World (PCW) November 1981. I doubt this will interest anyone else but me. All the same, it's good to finally know this.

Charlie cheek

No more sleepless nights Gary. O0

gary_m_walton

<Sigh> That's what I thought Charlie. Except it looks like Maplins cut and paste the address of the hotel. I *think* they meant to say 'Central' hotel which I believe is now the Britannia?

Edmund Fifield

GARY, from what I can remember about BRUM. IT never had a CENTER HOTEL ONLY THE QUEENS
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy