Author Topic: Sir Wilfrid Martineau School  (Read 9556 times)

gary_m_walton

Re: Sir Wilfrid Martineau School
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
Hi Rango,

I was there during the early 70's and left around 1977/78. I really need to check on these dates. So I would not have known you.

Anyway, I finally got around to uploading those photos. They are unedited and untagged. I normally tag them but decided just to post them this time. There are a couple of videos as well which will open with VLC media player.

As mentioned, reviewing this was quite upsetting. It takes you back 50 years and I  remember how it was - not the shambles it looks now.

I would like to go back again but not sure if it is still there?

I also took some pictures of the upper school as best I could and what was left of it.

Hopefully, these will jog some nice memories to you but I was saddened by the fact I could not take any inside the building. Oh well.

Anyway, enjoy them.

A link is below if this is acceptable to the moderator? If not, please let me know where I should post them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18L5bo3iaC_hqIiBiqBewDJHpqdLQq77n

Now, where did I put my time machine ....

PeakyBlinder

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi Gary,

Thank you so much for taking the time to upload the photos of Sir Wilfrid Martineau.

The pictures and videos brought back memories, and also the sense of a passing of a much loved place.

The Upper School building has been totally demolished and, from what I understand, the Lower School building has also been destroyed.

Your pictures evoked an ache which is beyond description. The pictures of the Main Hall were so desolate and haunting.
Thank you so much for sharing the photos.

Were you able to take any photos of the Science labs at the Lower School? And any pictures of the interior of the annex where the typewriting and commerce lessons were held?

Once again, warm thanks to you for your time and effort in bringing these pictures to my attention.

Sending you good wishes and hope you're keeping safe during the lockdown.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
Hi Rango,

You are most welcome. Sadly, those were all the photos I took. I didn't omit any. The place was like a hostel so I couldn't get into all the rooms. If this is true that the school is no longer then that is truly sad. Whilst I didn't have (always) a happy time there, it was an important part of my life and now it seems as if a chunk of me is missing. I'm so glad I went when I did and it's a shame I can no longer go back. Enjoy the photos and perhaps clarify where taken. I did mean to do that but just never got around to it.
All the best,

Gary

mercury

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2021, 05:12:29 AM »
Well hello fellow past students.
I attended SWM from 1962-1967. I had good days and bad days there, where fear was the factor which reduced a lot of learning capability.
I am very sorry to see the demise of a very vibrant school.
I was more interested in football than academic achievement, although I did my best and gained 5 GCE's at the time I left.
We had a successful football team and reached the semi final of the Villa cup and lost 1-0 to Hodge Hill. I've never felt so sick at a loss.
I now live in Adelaide, South Australia (since 1977)
I returned for a re union in 1995 and my wife reminded me that a time capsule was placed at the upper school somewhere.
I hope more people contribute to this page as I was looking for some photos that appeared in the school magazine 'The Martlet'.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2021, 10:56:34 AM »
Hi Mercury, have you checked out the FB (official) group? There's quite a lot of info on there. If you know the precise date of the reunion in 1995, would be good and if anyone can confirm that was actually the one I attended ( I believe there were a few over the years but I think 1995 was the one I went too). Gary

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy