Author Topic: new to Brum - just saying hello :)  (Read 17158 times)

Virgil

new to Brum - just saying hello :)
« on: November 17, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to Birmingham and new to UK, and my first thoughts about this are positive.
I find here friendly people, and beautiful parks.

Any advice for spending quality time with my kids? (near the area i live in, there is a "treasure Island" playground; any stories from there?)

Regards,
Virgil

greenbrummie

Re: new to Brum - just saying hello :)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:09:44 AM »
WElcome to Treasure Island.   The only other Treasure Island apart from the adventure book I have heard of is in Northfield and I believe is a business that arranges childrens parties.

DavidWilliams

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:43:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to Birmingham and new to UK, and my first thoughts about this are positive.
I find here friendly people, and beautiful parks.

Any advice for spending quality time with my kids? (near the area i live in, there is a "treasure Island" playground; any stories from there?)

Regards,
Virgil          warm welcome to you virgil I,m sure you will enjoy our company

trapio

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »
Welcome Virgil, what brought you to brum and  from where?

I ask as there are a few expats on here, not all are brummies - or Brits - so do feel at home and enjoy the forum O0 .
Integrity is non negotiable

Virgil

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »
Thak you for your welcoming and for trying to understand my english.
I am in uk for 2 years working on a project related to marketing.

I am also looking to increase my network, either professionally either informally, for a soccer game or something.

I am coming from Romania. Now I live in Northfield (for almost a week already).

Virgil

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 12:55:58 AM »
I look at this thread, started on 17 nov... I feel like 100 years passed already:)

Since I arrive here I have done already all steps needed for accommodation.
Childs in school, job started, few neighbor already friends... things are moving really fast.

What is weird for me to understand :
1. what is the purpose of two different water pipes for cold/hot
2. what is the origin of the "hardshoulder" word on the side of highways
3. why is, anywhere inside, so cold: in office, gym, restaurant, schools.. everywhere is about 17 celsius degrees. Cold!
4. why a lot of people are rude with foreigners. I smiled at some situations when, after I told I am romanian, I was asked if I drive a lorry, if I skip iron to refurbish, or if I just claim benefits. Once I was unpolite, answering a lady, sharing the same smoking place in a restaurant, that I am not drank enough to give her any further attention. (anyhow, half of people I met are interested in normal exchange of ideas, so I am not singling out the other half; reading the quality of this forum posts, I know the users active on daily mail website are not here, too )
5. the uk police are always so nice and polite and helpful, or I was just lucky?
I was stopped twice, yet unconfident to drive here, and police just adviced me how to perform better. Great preventive actions, instead of simple penalties.

Thank you for answering, and for sharing more advices for a better integration in British culture.

townie

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
Hi Virgil. Welcome, what year did you come to England and Birmingham? Your English is very good if you have only just arrived. A lot of people from foreign countries cant speak English very good never mind write it.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Virgil

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 08:32:05 PM »
I am in UK since 9th of November. 2014.
Thank you for understanding my English :)

I have very little experience speaking or hearing English. I was reading during last years a lot of English books of business, marketing and similar.
My day by day vocabulary is very low, also my grammar.
To improve this, I started 2 weeks ago to read literature. I started with Orwell, because I know all of his books very well in my language, and I consider this would help.

townie

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
Virgil I understand your English, but what I don't understand as how you,or people were allowed to smoke in a restaurant in 2014.
A smoking ban in England was introduced, making it illegal to smoke in all enclosed work places pubs and restaurants came into force on 1 July 2007.   

Virgil

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
"sharing the same smoking place"
somewhere outside restaurant, in the back yard of it.

It was even marked with "smoking allowing" signs

townie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »
Virgil got it now, keep posting as your English is getting better and better. Keep at it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy