Author Topic: new to Brum - just saying hello :)  (Read 17156 times)

townie

Re: new to Brum - just saying hello :)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 12:28:11 PM »
Wonder how my new mate Virgil is getting on with his English. Haven't heard off him for awhile.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

maggie

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »
Virgil. your English is much better than some English people,  keep it up, you ,might even show them how to speak properly...  Oh yes I moved from Birmingham 44 years ago and came to New Zealand, am still English tho.
do unto others as you would be done by

Virgil

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »
Thank you very much for your encouragement and concern.
I have no problems using the business vocabulary in English but I realized that my daily vocabulary was so low... I was unable to name simple things like milk or ... carpet, or.. fuse... as none of those words are ever used in marketing or business books.
I never had English courses before so all I know I have learned alone. Me, books, and foreign (from my point of view) customers.

As I started listen radio and reading literature, those gaps are slowly levelling to an evenly distributed vocabulary, but i still have the grammar to improve.

I have settled well in UK, made some friends already, work is fine... too bad I am working in a Romanian team so my English is not so pushed to improvement.
I am already explore other challenges to fit my desire for a language and cultural better insertion into this society, and a new job is taken into account.

"when you are in Rome, act like Romans"

caryonder

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »
Hi Virgil, welcome to Birmingham, hope you settling down and getting to grips with our lingo. there are many lovely parks around, but you should give "Sutton" park a visit, should not have many problems finding it just ask for "the royal town" <Sutton Coldfield>.

planetmalc

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 12:32:03 PM »
......you should give "Sutton" park a visit, should not have many problems finding it just ask for "the royal town" <Sutton Coldfield>.

Just make sure you ask someone from Sutton, though, as no-one else calls it 'The Royal Town' and you'll end up in Leamington Spa! ;D
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

caryonder

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
Just make sure you do not mention its part of BIRMINGHAM, dont forget to take your passport.

townie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
Vigil if you say your a doctor you will fit in.

maggie

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
Vigil. what they are trying to tell you is that
Sutton Coldfield thinks its better that other places
it is. NOT,  they think the sun shines specially on them
IGNORE the people look at the place especially the Sutton Park, lovely for long rambles or bike rides..
Am a but behind the times things could have changed
but the Midland Red Bus number 107 used to go there
Go and enjoy
do unto others as you would be done by

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 09:26:52 PM »
Maggie

I don't think it so bad now, I think the only place that is left with the old attitude is Little Aston which is still pretty much a gated community.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 09:27:53 PM »
Virgil let me tell you something. If you are thinking of going to Sutton Coldfield. Some people think they are to good to be classed as brummies and don't what anything to do with them. You are a Romanian so good luck, if they don't speak to you don't take it personal its the way they are secondary SNOBS, who cant afford to move to the Cotswolds.     

Virgil

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:58 PM »
I was there. Is nice
It was easy to get there, using gps.
For now I still drive everywhere I go, I used bus two times and I spent so much time...

A better place in my opinion is Moseley park.
But taste is a subjective matter.

Regarding the above messages, is clear that I am unable yet to understand nuances of language and denotative meanings.
Especially if they are related of inhabitants of a place I don't know.

I could so easy be misleaded into a preconception if I would try to pay attention to the above messages, so I choose not to.

Anyhow, I feel sorry for all manifestations of xenophobic fears, regardless who they think the "other" is.
The "local patriotism" is great. All humans should feel bonds with the place they live in and love. But from this to consider the "others" below... This is caused by serious complexes and it is pitiful.

I must say that I use all chances to speak with locals and in my opinion the sutton-ers are nice and friendly. Like anyone else.

As I am not sure I understood the previous messages or the basement they rely on, I will just stop here me thoughts on xenophobia.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy