Author Topic: Message for Lizzie  (Read 2791 times)

Jacqueline

Message for Lizzie
« on: April 13, 2006, 04:30:51 AM »
Lizzie,
   Have been telling my mom about your posts and she is intrigued.
   Okies, mom will be 79 this year probably older than you but she went to St Patricks then Upper highgate Scool. She lived on Upper highgate st in a drapers shop. She had an older brother named Ernie some ten years older.
   Oops sorry the surname was Jones.

Andy Capp

Re: Message for Lizzie
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
Lizzy
I think one of Lees family relatives were still selling crockery at the Wellsboure open air market up until a few years ago. I can remember him down at the rag alley all those years ago. He might be one of the sons. Andy Capp

Lizzy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:26:02 AM »
Hi! Jacqeline,
Pleased to hear your mom was interested in my posts.
The name does not ring a bell.I dont think there are many of us left from St Patricks or St Albans never get much info from anyone.Yes your mom would be a bit older than me I am 74 this year.I used to love going to the rag market and watching Mr Lees.I have lived in Australia for the past 44 years but still love Brum.Its great to look back over old times I guess we were all poor in those days but people were people then all for one and one for all.Although times were tough I dont think I would change my childhood with the kids of today.Have a great day  Lizzy

Andy Capp

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 06:41:00 PM »
LIZZIE
 CAN YOU REMEMBER THE STRONGMAN WHO WHO USED TO DO THE STUNTS WITH THE CHAINS OUTSIDE WOOLWORTHS IN THE THE OLD BULLRING  IN THE 1950S. WE USED TO WATCH HIM THEN WE WOULD GO INTO THE MARKET HALL & HAVE A PLATE OF WHELKS OR COCKLES HAPPY DAYS. I WAS 70 THIS MONTH. ITS GONE IN BLINK OF AN EYE IN SEEMS. ANDY CAPP

Lizzy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 03:48:15 AM »
Hi Andy Yes the strongman was great fun.I always loved the Bullring especially at xmas I would go with mydad on xmas eve to get a turkey about 6pm when they were cheaper
we would take it home feather it and gut it ready for cooking the next day. After we had secured the turkey we would go into St Martins Church to the carol service
Do you remember the big top and the fair they had there????Also the speakers that used to spout off
by nelsons column.Ho Andy they were good old days
sadly never to be repeated. Have a great day Lizzy

Andy Capp

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 11:21:36 AM »
 8)LIZZIE CAN YOU REMBEMBER  SHOPPING AT HENRYS THE CHEAP CLOTHES STORE IN THE CENTRE  IN THE 1950S. YOU COULD GET SOME GOOD BARGAINS IN THOSE DAYS. 

Lizzy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 09:43:14 AM »
O.K. Andy Yes I do remember Henries Store I once bought a Tartan Jacket from there quite a few people liked it and asked where I got it from at that stage in my life I didnt like to tell them Henries.So I said C & A
it sounded much posher I often wonder if anyone found out I was lying.Now it wouldnt bother me I love a bargain and dont mind addmitting it.All the best Lizzy