Author Topic: Billy Kirton's Newsagent shop Kingstanding/Dyas Road corner location  (Read 6806 times)

wakadowakado

Hi Phil and members, Can anyone come up with an image of Billy kirton's shop famous old Villa player  Thanks in anticipation Wak

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Billy Kirton's Newsagent shop Kingstanding/Dyas Road corner location
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
Wak

This must be the place, 164 Old Oscott Lane William J Kirton Confectioner at the junction of Dyas Road. At the time of the photo (1964) it was owned by M E Kirton I suppose his wife, son or daughter.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

wakadowakado

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
Spot on Phil, well done it ties up with Billy married Margaret E. Goodfellow from Newcastle upon Tyne  June 1921  appreciation Wak

Leonagrace

Can anyone give me any history of this shop what was it before
I worked and lived above it in the 80's

Martin160

I lived at the butcher's shop just around the corner at 160 Old Oscott Lane. I knew Billy  Kirton quite well and his daughter owned the shop next door to his. Her name was Doris Clifton.
I think Billy Kirton and his wife lived there from when the shops were built back in the 1930s.
My father bought his shop before the war. We used to play football on the area in front of the shops and Billy Kirton came out once and tried to show us how to kick the ball properly. He also showed me the caps he had for playing for England.

Nigel Siver

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »
Hi Martin  if i remember correctly your surname if your who i think you are is Watts we used to play football and cricket with Frank the Doctors son i lived at 163 and like you remember Billy Kirton his wife and their daughter Doris.He also owned a newsagents shop at the top of dyas hill that his son ran.

settlerman

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
Is the above photo of the doctors opposite Mr Kirtons shop?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
Is the above photo of the doctors opposite Mr Kirtons shop?

The photo that I posted is of the shop owned by M E Kirton at 164 Old Oscott Lane which was at the junction of Dyas Rd. I understand that M E Kirton was Margaret the wife of Billy Kirton.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

settlerman

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
Had a trip across to Dyas Road to make sure my memory wasn't playing me up. The photo is definitely the doctors surgery 169 Old Oscott Lane.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »
settlerman

I had a look through Kelly's Directory's to check on what you were saying. If you had said that the shop had been a doctors surgery before it became a sweet shop I would have understood better. Yes until it became a sweetshop it was the surgery of doctors Mary & Joseph Fletcher and William Kirkton Confectioner was on the other side of the road at 164. Were there some shops demolished on that side of the road?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

settlerman

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »
Sorry if I misled you. No there were never any shops on the doctors side (169) at least not from 1949 onwards. I was surprised to see that 169 Old Oscott Lane is still a doctors today. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy