Author Topic: Billy Kirton's Newsagent shop Kingstanding/Dyas Road corner location  (Read 6805 times)

settlerman

Re: Billy Kirton's Newsagent shop Kingstanding/Dyas Road corner location
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
Hi Phil, I have just viewed this thread on my desktop and I can see where I was in error. I originally viewed it on my phone and only the extreme left hand side of the picture was showing. Once again Im sorry to have confused things. I shall now find a deep dark hole and crawl into it. :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »
Settlerman

I'm partly to blame as well, not being a local person I do not know the area at all. Taking another look in Kelly's they have either got the wrong number some years or there has been a re-numbering of the street at sometime. Looking on Google Earth this is what I can see the problem is. The shop in the original photo is at 164 Old Oscott Lane and not 169 as claimed in some directory's. It is now a Co-op store see the attached photo, the doctors surgery at 169 is on the other side of the road see attached photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Nigel Siver

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 04:19:05 PM »
The doctors was 169 i know that for a fact as i lived at 163 back in the 60,s and used to play with the doctors son, both shopsthen were owned by billy kirton and the one in the right was run as a grocery shopby his daughter doris clifton

Martin160

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »
Hi Nigel. -- Sorry I haven't replied sooner.
I remember the epic test matches we used to play up the Rec.
Dr Doherty and family moved to 169 in the fifties when Dr Fletcher retired. The Dohertys emigrated to Canada in 1966.
The other shops at that time were Hewitts the greengrocer at 156, Brookes the drapers at158 and Overtons the bookmakers at 162. Flanagan the ironmongers was at 162 before them.

caroline-c

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »

In reply to Martin Siver's message on Billy Kirton., He did run the shop in the picture, but the shop at the top of Dyas, on the Kingstanding Rd, was run by Harry Chapman who was manager of the shop but no relation to Billy or his wife. Billy's daughter had the shop next door to his with her husband Big Bob Clifton and their three daughters, Maggy, Linda and Caroline.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy