Author Topic: Phyllis Nicklin's Photos  (Read 5825 times)

Langstraat

Phyllis Nicklin's Photos
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »
An amazing selection of Photos
Click the slideshow to see all
http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/pnicklin
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

froggy

Re: Phyllis Nicklin's Photos
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:30:08 PM »
Hi Langstraat (is that Dutch for long street?):

Really enjoyed the photos of Prof. Nicklin.....I even saw my old office on Colmore Row (Guardian Insurance). I transferred to their Toronto office in '61, but left in '63 to go back to school and got a B.A.  The photos really show how much demolition was going on in that era and how a lot of those old houses had character. The stuff they built to replace it is c**p in my view.

Langstraat

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
I tend to agree over the first go they had at remodelling Brum; but the latest attempt has been much better. I really like the new Bull Ring and the wonderful Selfridges building. They've started the redevelopment around Snow Hill /St. Martins so as they say watch this space.  O0

I wonder whether they'll build a tower to rival the Toronto Tower.

Yep Langstraat does mean Long Street

http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/selfridges.htm
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

froggy

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the Selfridge's link; yes it does look quite exciting I have to admit. I was really talking about the new housing that was put in to replace the back-to-backs, etc.  Bland, if functional, design that is boring at best. I'm guessing that most of it is "social housing" owned by the council. It's the same on my side of the pond...housing built on the cheap because we can't be seen to be spending too much on creative architects for the benefit of the poor. Shame.
All that aside, there are a lot of good things happening in the "new" Brum and I look forward to seeing what they do with New St. station.

Langstraat

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:39:11 PM »
The Social housing projects has also seen improvement in recent years. Many of the concrete prefabricated monstrosity of the 60's have been removed by the self distruction action of corroded steel work and the bulldozer and replaced with small low rise communities. Places for the kids to play and gardens. Brum still has many allotments with long waiting lists. The parks and garden departments do a wonderful job around the city as they have always done and with the effects of global warming becoming more apparent each year outdoor activities will flourish.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy