Author Topic: Buswell & Sweeny Ltd + C H Mountford  (Read 3591 times)

Eithne

Re: Buswell & Sweeny Ltd + C H Mountford
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 11:05:37 PM »
Thank you Phil
Would like to share memories of my time at Morton& Crowder

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:42:11 AM »
Hi again Eithne,

Sheppy has been a member for a couple of years and visits the site now and again, so perhaps he will look in and see your message and then you will be able to exchange memories. My advice would be to keep an eye on this thread whilst enjoying the rest of the forum.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Paul hayes

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 08:54:56 PM »
Hi Denise

Buswell and Swenney were located not at the junction of Watery Lane but on the left at the "blind end" of Bolton Street, going from Watery Lane, if you go on Google Earth Street view the buildings still look very much as they did 44 years ago when I last saw them, being specifically built all of the premises had the distinct brick arches as an architectural feature.  It is now named Phoenix Wharf.

My Grandmother used to be the caretaker, and lived in the integrated house.

The company were high precision machinists and general toolmakers.  Providing an all encompassing engineering service for other companies in Birmingham.  They did not produce a finished product themselves.

Many times I went though the premises after Saturday lunch time with my father locking up after "The Men" had worked the morning overtime.  The smell of cutting fluid (suds), was everywhere.

The steel stores were in the area directly to the left of the main gates, you will see that the original door has been half bricked up and a window installed, the bricks are a different colour.

The Caretakers house was on the other side.  Looking through the main gate arch (note the weigh bridge still set in the floor) you can make out where the house / main gate doorway has been bricked up.

The administrative and drawing offices were on the first floor, as were some of the lighter machines.

Machinery in the workshops included lathes, shapers, drill presses, horizontal and vertical milling machines, cylindrical and surface and grinders, jig borers and many more.

Hope this helps

Paul Hayes   

Zizzeddu

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »
I came upon this posting a bit late but I worked at Buswell & Sweeney for many years, they were one of the top rated manufacturers of moulds, jigs & fixtures in Birmingham. We made prototypes for many other engineering companies before they risked producing them themselves. There can't be many ex employees left alive. I started as an apprentice and am now 75 years old. I have many happy memories of B&S.

Zizzeddu

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 06:55:17 PM »
I know that I am late responding to the Buswell & Sweeney posting. I am now 80 years old and possibly the only person alive who worked at this company. I served my apprenticeship as a toolmaker at B&S . The company was very highly respected in the engineering trade. We made many prototypes for larger companies and they would send their workers to watch how we made the prototypes. We made molds for many things, including dinky toy cars. In the 1960's with B&S on my CV I was able to demand high pay from many companies in the Midlands enabling me to retire comfortably at age 50. I owe an awful lot to Buswell & Sweeney.

frederick

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 09:32:17 AM »
Hi did you have someone by the name Jimmie Kinnard work there as a toolmaker he is your age, He worked at one or two places just a thought.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Zizzeddu

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2023, 10:26:50 AM »
Hi, I don't remember that name but it was a long time ago and my memory isn't as good as it should be. I left the company at 21 when I finished my apprenticeship.  There were so many companies looking for time served toolmakers. B&S didn't have many apprentices as they were a small company. There were only 2 of us in my time. The person you mention may have started just after I left.

frederick

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2023, 10:52:13 AM »
Hi, He may not have worked there it was just a thought as you ever know I can't remember the places he worked at.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Spud

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 09:57:53 PM »
I've following this post and it's strange how things come to you after years Buswell and Sweeney I understand that they were in Bolton St off Watery Lane my Grand Mother lived in a back house in Bolton St and my Mother was born there
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy