Author Topic: Hamstead/Rocky Lane  (Read 2393 times)

ChrisJP

Hamstead/Rocky Lane
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »
The attached photos and newspaper cutting were found whilst going through some old family photos.
The photos were taken in the garden of the family house in Rocky Lane, Great Barr. Behind my elder brother and sister you can see the slag heaps and tower and bucket system from Hamstead Colliery. In the one with the washing you can just see below the washing the roofs of the houses in the lower end of Coleraine Rd.
In the photo with only my brother and sister only, the slag heaps are in the direction of the playground on the park behind, the brickworks would have been just to the left. These images must have been taken in about 1954.
The newspaper cutting is self explanatory.

Sorry they're not bigger but the site won't accept them.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Hamstead/Rocky Lane
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:58:18 PM »
Chris

There are ways and means of making your photos bigger and acceptable to the forum, this is one of them

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4681.msg137371#msg137371

Another way is to use a photo editing programme, this enlarged photo of yours would have been much better from the original. but is still only 43k. With the 196k upload allowance you could have posted 4 this size.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ChrisJP

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »
I do use a photo editing program. I resized to 3 different sizes and all were rejected. My final resize showed a file size of around 172k  and that above is how big they came out. On upload to the post it showed them as 55k each, not what they are on computer.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »
Chris

Each individual image has to be 80k or less, you can upload a total of 196k or 5 images whichever is the less. I don't know why your images would read more on site than on your computer. Your photo that I reproduced reads the same on my computer as it does here.

I use a very old editing programme "Picture it" you can't do a lot with it other than resize photos and one or two other functions but it covers me for what I need on here.

It looks as if you might be better using Tinypic.com
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ChrisJP

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 06:52:41 PM »
Tinypic?  I'm resizing using Photoshop Elements 12 and then linking straight from my files. I'll have to try going via Photobucket.
That's when I've finished resizing 200 images from a recent photo assignment.  ::)

ChrisJP

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:38:03 AM »
Better through Photobucket.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:15 AM »
As I said Chris, ways & means, the only problem I find with photobucket is that if you do any rearranging with your files on there then your uploads to anywhere else can go missing.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ChrisJP

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Yep, had that problem in the past with other forums.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy