Author Topic: Duddeston Mill Road 1960s  (Read 2857 times)

Wonderhorseuk

Duddeston Mill Road 1960s
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:48:03 PM »
Hey! Is there anyone else here who lived on Duddeston Mill Road through the late 1960s? I'm talking about the far lower end near to the river Rae where it flows underneath the road and the Vauxhall railway depot down past the railway bridge - where it always used to flood when it rained. I lived then in the old slum type building in the complex that was there.... the toilet block on the large central yard for everyone.

I recall the unfortunate girl who had learning difficulties who lived in the one corner with her mother, and in the opposite house in the corner the father was, I think, a train driver.

Might still be someone out there who also lived there? :-)

Dave57b

Re: Duddeston Mill Road 1960s
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »
Hi. I lived at 133 Duddeston Mill road. As you walked down from Devon St we was the last block of 6 back to back houses on the right next to the river. I was 5 when we moved in. That would be about 1964. I remember there was a Irish couple next door named the Darlings then the Morrises. Behind was the Higgs who had a mentally ill girl. The Hayes and the Jacksons. Tony Jackson was a train driver

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 08:46:24 AM »
Hi. I lived at 133 Duddeston Mill road. As you walked down from Devon St we was the last block of 6 back to back houses on the right next to the river. I was 5 when we moved in. That would be about 1964. I remember there was a Irish couple next door named the Darlings then the Morrises. Behind was the Higgs who had a mentally ill girl. The Hayes and the Jacksons. Tony Jackson was a train driver

Hi Dave. Wow that's fantastic - so much I can picture in memory... Tony the train driver, never could remember his name but he's in there. I do remember the Higgs family and the unfortunate.young lady... so many were unsure of her because of her condition. ... I would have been 4 when my family moved there in about '65. We lived in that block exactly too, but at the back first one on the left as you went through the entrance. Sadly my late father was a bit of a rogue there and locally, he spent so much time in the ? Victoria on the corner of Inkerman Street?

I wonder if you have any pics from the time?... I have none and haven't found any online but the standard stock ones etc. That would make my day! 🙂

Feel free to direct message if you want... I'm chuffed at the memory alone. Ta.

Dave57b

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »
Hi. Dont suppose your last name was/is Champion

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
Hi. Dont suppose your last name was/is Champion

It is... Leslie.

Dave57b

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 09:12:03 AM »
Hi Leslie. I remember your family well. Tommy. Alison,yourself and Wendy Remember your dad used to come home in a dumper and all us kids playing on it and your dad telling us off. It's really nice to hear from you

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 09:15:02 AM »
Hi Leslie. I remember your family well. Tommy. Alison,yourself and Wendy Remember your dad used to come home in a dumper and all us kids playing on it and your dad telling us off. It's really nice to hear from you
[/q uote]

I recall that... also the burying on an old car shell somewhere at the back of the big communal yard area. Those were the days!

Dave57b

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 09:21:14 AM »
Your right. It was a old sunbeam someone had given my dad but it was no good. I also remember your dad working on a car in a shed when a wall fell on it. The people  who lived in front of your house was the Brennans.I think your father, Mike Brennan and my dad all drank together in the Vic. I also remember Myra Brennan, Your mom and my mom all standing outside our house making sure we got home from school safely

Wonderhorseuk

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 11:53:48 AM »
Your right. It was a old sunbeam someone had given my dad but it was no good. I also remember your dad working on a car in a shed when a wall fell on it. The people  who lived in front of your house was the Brennans.I think your father, Mike Brennan and my dad all drank together in the Vic. I also remember Myra Brennan, Your mom and my mom all standing outside our house making sure we got home from school safely

I thought it sad to see that section of the road now when took in a drive by a couple of years back. Rather bland and little character as industrial areas go. Not like when we lived there and the (albeit antiquated even then) houses were still there.... and the sense of community that it had. I also remember a lot of time with the Stanley family from down Inkerman St. Mary was the daughter we mainly knew there.

Dave57b

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
Yeah. Unfortunately it's all warehouses and units now. I often wonder if they found the buried car when they was building them.

Dave57b

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 12:29:38 PM »
Dint know how to message direct unfortunately

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy