Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 2810 times)

Keyworker48

Harry Lucas School
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Does anyone have any photos of Harry Lucas School please.

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
Hi Folks, HLS Blazer Badge herewith, I've also got other images including a school photo but uploads so far have failed - Too many KB's - help!
Peg.

P.S. Sorry, I forgot to mention I was at HLS Sept 1960 - Jul 1965.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »
Files compressed, hopefully more luck this time!
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 01:03:43 PM »
Plan of school as I remember it.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »
School uniform and house info'.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Our weekly school swimming sessions at Grove Lane Baths, Handsworth, were pretty routine, apart from one that is. Mr Jones (Art Master) was the leader on the day and for some uknown reason one of the lads, a non-swimmer, jumped in the deep end and it was instantly obvious he was in trouble. Wthout hesitation Mr Jones jumped in fully clothed to assist him, Mr Jones had to borrow clothes from the pool staff for the journey back to school.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:12:01 PM »
Metalwork was offered as a subject to boys in the 4th and 5th year but because HLS had no facilities every Friday morning male class members would congregate at Gem St. School (near to, what was then, the Central Fire Station), this school had been converted to provide good workshop facilities, the road and school have long since disappeared under the Aston Uni Campus.
Two of the items I made, at that time, are shown below. I was quite surprised when the teacher showed enthusiasm at my request to make the paper knife.
Most of the things I made have been lost but they did make a valuable contribution to me securing a GKN Apprenticeship after HLS.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
I was fortunate duirng my 2nd and 4th year at HLS to be offered a place at Bockleton Camp School, Tenbury Wells, Worcs. The building at that time was owned by the City Education Dept and provided extended residential accommodation to study history and agriculture. I had a great time, each period of stay lasted 4 weeks. The house was a mansion set in fantastic woodland grounds and really was an experience not to be missed. Mr Watson joined us as supervising teacher on both occasions.
I checked a while ago and now the building is a medical centre.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »
Anyone who attended HLS in 1964 may remember the 8mm movie made by forthformers G2, entitled The Bicycle Thief, it was set at the school and featured many pupils as extras. Mr Jones, Art Master, was producer-director and the cine club at Joseph Lucas loaned useful equipment. The film was completed in time for 1964 Speech Day and although silent a muical accompanyment was provided by the music teacher (name escapes me) who was also an accomplished classical guitar player.
The film would represent invaluable archive material but unfortunately it vanished without trace on school closure.
Efforts have been made to try and trace the film but these have, so far, proved fruitless and even if it could be found it could well have deteriorated badly with the passage of time.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:01:44 PM »
Recounting The Bicycle Thief reminded me of another Thespian Episode at the school when I was in the 3rd year (1963), when the BBC came to town. They were looking for a lad aged about 14 with a broad brummie accent to play a small but important part in a short comedy drama entitled The Choir (I think).
To be honest the profile could have fitted any lad in the school but after audtions they chose one from my form, I was disappointed not to be chosen but, hey, that's life.
Briefly the plot was about a church choir, who could not sing a note between them, going on strike.
I did see it on TV and quite enjoyed it but I doubt it entered the record books as a classic.
Peg.

Keyworker48

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 06:00:21 AM »
Thanks for the information Peg monkey I was there from 59 to 63. I remember the headmaster Mr Walker his deputy Mrs Cadman. Mr Williams was my first teacher, Mr Watson I think taught possibly geography and sport. Mr Fleming was the woodwork teacher. Mr Jones art, Mr Hands Science. I remember going to Grove Lane swimming baths. My name was Tony Randall.