Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 4622 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
Hi Tony, it was good to hear those names again, here's a few more I remember: Mr Figures (Maths!), Miss Gossmore (English), Mr Wiiliams (Geography), Mr Blenckinsop (French), others whose specialty escapes me: Mr Thomas and, of course, the delectable Miss Chivvers. There was also another very glamorous young femail teacher whose name I can't bring to mind: 5-10 in heels, slim size 8, long blonde hair, attitude - other than that I can't remember much about her.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:35:03 PM »
Some info' about the photo in my post #2.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »
School Dinners! HLS didn't have any cooking facilities (ignoring Domestic Science and the Staff Room) meals were prepared off-site and brought in daily in huge tins - doesn't sound very appertising but I can't speak too highly of them - 1/- a day including sweet! (5p in new money) The price didn't change for all the time I was at the school. In the early years I purchased 5 tickets at the beginning of each week but in my latter years I was more selective - I didn't like salad so I bought 4 tickets and sort alternative catering arrangements on the day salad was being served, either: a bag of chips (nearest chippy I think was in John St West), or a bag of crisps, a bar 6 and an apple and blackberry pie (from the tuck shop in Burburry St) or a visit to the cafe corner Farm St and Bridge St West where I had a egg sandwich and a mug of tea.
Anyone remember the mummers play?
Traditionally performed by 5th formers for the rest of the school, if it had a plot it was well-concealed, I played some kind of doctor who could cure a crow of toothache (by cutting it's head off) Note: no animals were harmed during my performance.
Ah! Happy Days.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:44 PM »
HEL P!
I've lost the facility to edit previous posts, is it just me or a widespread problem?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »
Nativity Play - If I remember correctly, the 3rd year was tasked with performing the Nativity, I myself was Deputy Head Shepherd, sounds like a cool position, right? Only trouble was there was 10 shepherds and you couldn't tell us apart (don't know how we all got on the stage).
In my rush to get home that evening (I had to get 2 buses) I forgot to remove my stage make-up, I got some odd looks from the other bus passengers.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
Anybody get a CSE Grade 1?
Best I could do was 2's.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
My daily commute.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »
Fact: The 1st A Company, The Boys' Brigade, the oldest Company in Birmingham, was originally based at Harry Lucas School, I'm guessing it was linked to St Saviours Church in Villa St (opposite Farm St School), anyone able to confirm/correct?
The company is now based at The Peoples' Chapel, Gt King St.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »
Anyone remember their theatre trips? One that sticks in my mind is My Fair Lady, starring Tony Britton, Miss Gossmore, English Teacher organised the treat (not sure if it was at The Rep or The Alex) when I was in the 3rd year (1963), we were reading Pygmalion at the time.
If my estimations are accurate Miss Gossmore would be about 95 now.

Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
It was 1963 (my 3rd year) when Mr Watson organised a youth hostel expedition, there were about a dozen of us (only boys, don't know why no girls were invited). It was only a short break (3 days and 2 nights) but we certainly packed a lot of interest in to them. Destination: Cotswolds, got the train from New St, (can't remember where to, may be Cheltenham), spent the first night at a hostel in Stow-on-the-Wold and the second in Bourton-on the-Water, had a great time - my one and only youth hostelling experience.
Peg,

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »
You should have tried cycling did many miles at different YHA all round Derbyshire