Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 7965 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
World Book Day 7 March 2019 - I have to confess to not being a book-lover (for me a good read is the Argos Catalogue - Mrs P.M. on the other hand can dispatch War and Peace in a weekend and still have time for a bag of jelly babies) so World Book Day pretty much passed me by. So, did HLS library carry a copy of Alice in Wonderland? I doubt it, catering for 11-16 year olds there was little space for anything other than reference books in the tiny library.
Peg.
P.S. Actually, the Cross Keys (20 mins walk from my folk's Lyndhurst Estate flat) was not one of my watering holes but it was my dad's, god rest his soul, it was his second home.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »
Christmas 1964 - my last Christmas at HLS. The Class Christmas Party was a bit on the sombre side. The girls of the form did a great catering job, the celebration was held in the library (our home classroom) and our teacher Mr Thomas try to lighten the mood with the odd party game, once the new year was out the way it would be down to serious revision for the forthcoming May 1965 CSE Exams.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »
I have to confess to not being a book-lover (for me a good read is the Argos Catalogue.......
I fear I might have given the impression I'm a One Book Man.......
Peg.
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and I will be different tomorrow

Peg Monkey

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2019, 03:37:02 PM »
Inexplicable! - That was the only way to describe my CSE Woodwork Grade 4 (Exam May '65.) I'd always been top or just below in the class at woodwork all the near-5 years at HLS (I'd been awarded 2 school woodwork prizes) so I was gutted when my grades came through late August, trouble was I'd left school by then never to return and the staff had been scattered to the 4 winds on summer vacation so expressing my disbelief and disappointment and requesting a recount was never going to be easy, but I wished I had because I'm sure there must be cases of mistaken identity - had someone got my grade 1 and I got their 4?, we will never know. Then it seemed pointless to pursue the matter as I had no intention of a career in woodwork (by that time I'd secured a Birfield Engineering Apprenticeship).
Ah well! No good bleating about it know!
Peg.
Link, my CSE Certificate: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg656002#msg656002

Peg Monkey

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
If you are interested in the Harry Lucas School - Joseph Lucas Ltd connection use the following link to the Industrial Birmingham Thread: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg693034#msg693034.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
CSE Exams May 1965 - I can't remember for sure when I chose my subjects but my best guess is when we returned to school after the 1964 summer break - early September. I'd set my sights on an engineering apprenticeship with Joseph Lucas so my subjects had to be consistant with that aim, with one exception Woodwork, I was good at it and enjoyed it, but with hindsight it took up valuable time that could have been better spent (on maths). So for good or ill I dropped history, geography, French, RE, PE but not art which I enjoyed - even though I had no intention of choosing it as a CSE Subject. So I focussed on 6 subject Maths, English, Technical Drawing, Science, Woodwork and Metalwork.
So, how did I do? My CSE Grades: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg656002#msg656002
Peg.