Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 43965 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2022, 04:50:12 PM »
The School had a close association with Joseph Lucas Ltd, which went beyond geographic, notably the wives of the directors of Joseph Lucas (who gave their names to the school houses) graciously presented prizes at annual speech day, I remember in particular the 1962 speech day when I received a prize from Mrs Corley for Woodwork.
The Joseph Lucas Fencing Club provided equipment and expertise running an evening club at the school and the company's Cinematography Club provided equipment for the production of the school's 1964 silent 8mm epic The Bicycle Thief.
Link The School Houses: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg797749#msg797749
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2022, 03:58:14 PM »
Followers of this topic may be interested in the topic: Burbury Street Board School, that was the title of the original school building which became Harry Lucas School, link: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15808.msg737790#msg737790

Peg Monkey

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2022, 12:09:56 AM »
I'd started to think about my working career during my second year at HLS, my ambition was to be an architect but my hopes were dashed by the careers adviser who said, in a sugar coated way, you've got no chance, so, still keen on drawing board work, I set my sights on an engineering draughtsman.
In my fifth year me and my mate applied for a place at the Lucas Engineering School, Gt Hampton Street. The selection process consisted of various tests and interviews all day, I was exhausted and left the building knowing I had not done very well. Sure enough I got a letter a few days later telling me I had been unsuccessful at gaining a place at the Engineering School but was offered a commercial trainee position at Lucas Gas Turbine, but with intransient attitude it was the Engineering School or nothing I turned it down, with the benefit of hindsight that was probably a mistake. It was poor consolation my mate (who was much brighter than me) also failed to get a place.
I found out quite recently that the Lucas Engineering School got up to 2000 applications per year, so it was some achievement on my part that I even got a place on the selection process and even more so that I was offered a place at the Turbine Division.
Anyway, I dusted my self off and shortly after got an interview at Salisbury Transmission Ltd, Witton where I was offered a Birfield Group (later became GKN) Technical Apprenticeship, link:  https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15244.msg694378#msg694378

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2022, 09:41:43 AM »
Peg like you I had ambitions to be an ACCOUNTANT because I was really good at Maths. But was shot down by the careers adviser because in his words only grammar school students got those jobs. So finished up a Motor Mechanic
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2022, 12:33:42 AM »
Sorry wrong thread
No problem, Spud, all are welcome here.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2022, 12:06:24 PM »
It was not a foregone conclusion I would attend HLS when the time came. The first 10 years of my life were spent in a house in Heaton Street that faced the rear entrance to Icknield Street Boys Senior School, so that looked favourite, but after forging friendships at Farm Street Infant and Junior School I decided I wanted to accompany my mates who were all planning to attend HLS, that was all well and good until my mom, dad and me were re-housed to the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington.
Looking back it as was an odd decision to accept the inconvenience of a daily 2-bus, 64 and Inner Circle 8, journey to and from school just so I could stay with my friends - but here's the irony - we were together for the first year then after doing well in the end of year exams I was moved up a stream and had to create a whole new set of friendships.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2022, 08:11:38 AM »
Peg like you I had ambitions to be an ACCOUNTANT because I was really good at Maths. But was shot down by the careers adviser because in his words only grammar school students got those jobs. So finished up a Motor Mechanic
Bet you were a whiz at working out the repair bill.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2022, 11:42:01 AM »
No Calculators in those days only ABACASAS PEG
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2022, 04:45:53 PM »
The School (then Burbury Street Board School) opened in 1891, in 1913 The 1stA Company, The Boys' Brigade adopted it as it's base and remained there until 1967, two years before the school closed, why not swing by The Boys' Brigade - Birmingham Companies Topic to find out more?
Link: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15028.msg786796#msg786796

Peg Monkey

« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2022, 07:39:36 PM »
For a fascinating insight into why the school was originally mis-named Burbury Street Board School follow the link: https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15808.msg737790#msg737790

Peg Monkey

« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2022, 09:24:00 AM »
I was good at Art and Woodwork (I was awarded a prize for Art and two for Woodwork during my time at the school) and a qualification in Art could well have come in useful if I had been allowed to follow my ambition to be an Architect but, as already posted, the careers officer poured cold water on that idea, but the skills learned were useful when I constructed a model glider for the Pursuits & Projects Section of The Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Award.
Find out more, link:  https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15028.msg804137#msg804137
P.S. Happy Easter to all members.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy