Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 9016 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2019, 05:00:45 PM »
World Book Day 7 March 2019 - I have to confess to not being a book-lover (for me a good read is the Argos Catalogue - Mrs P.M. on the other hand can dispatch War and Peace in a weekend and still have time for a bag of jelly babies) so World Book Day pretty much passed me by. So, did HLS library carry a copy of Alice in Wonderland? I doubt it, catering for 11-16 year olds there was little space for anything other than reference books in the tiny library.
Peg.
P.S. Actually, the Cross Keys (20 mins walk from my folk's Lyndhurst Estate flat) was not one of my watering holes but it was my dad's, god rest his soul, it was his second home.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »
Christmas 1964 - my last Christmas at HLS. The Class Christmas Party was a bit on the sombre side. The girls of the form did a great catering job, the celebration was held in the library (our home classroom) and our teacher Mr Thomas try to lighten the mood with the odd party game, once the new year was out the way it would be down to serious revision for the forthcoming May 1965 CSE Exams.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2019, 11:19:40 PM »
I have to confess to not being a book-lover (for me a good read is the Argos Catalogue.......
I fear I might have given the impression I'm a One Book Man.......
Peg.
Honed by the sands of time I am a different man to yesterday and I will be different tomorrow

Peg Monkey

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2019, 03:37:02 PM »
Inexplicable! - That was the only way to describe my CSE Woodwork Grade 4 (Exam May '65.) I'd always been top or just below in the class at woodwork all the near-5 years at HLS (I'd been awarded 2 school woodwork prizes) so I was gutted when my grades came through late August, trouble was I'd left school by then never to return and the staff had been scattered to the 4 winds on summer vacation so expressing my disbelief and disappointment and requesting a recount was never going to be easy, but I wished I had because I'm sure there must be cases of mistaken identity - had someone got my grade 1 and I got their 4?, we will never know. Then it seemed pointless to pursue the matter as I had no intention of a career in woodwork (by that time I'd secured a Birfield Engineering Apprenticeship).
Ah well! No good bleating about it know!
Peg.
Link, my CSE Certificate: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg656002#msg656002

Peg Monkey

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
If you are interested in the Harry Lucas School - Joseph Lucas Ltd connection use the following link to the Industrial Birmingham Thread: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg693034#msg693034.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
CSE Exams May 1965 - I can't remember for sure when I chose my subjects but my best guess is when we returned to school after the 1964 summer break - early September. I'd set my sights on an engineering apprenticeship with Joseph Lucas so my subjects had to be consistant with that aim, with one exception Woodwork, I was good at it and enjoyed it, but with hindsight it took up valuable time that could have been better spent (on maths). So for good or ill I dropped history, geography, French, RE, PE but not art which I enjoyed - even though I had no intention of choosing it as a CSE Subject. So I focussed on 6 subject Maths, English, Technical Drawing, Science, Woodwork and Metalwork.
So, how did I do? My CSE Grades: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg656002#msg656002
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Mr Jones was the artmaster during my time at HLS 1960-65, he was not only a good teacher he was a brilliant artist - I remember watching him produce a self-portait over many lunch breaks in oils using a pallet knife, up close it was a bewilderment of the most unlikely blobs of colour but stand a few paces back and it came to life. He was the driving force behind the school movie entitled The Bycycle Thief (1964), many thought its symbolism was right up there with Roman Polanski's Two Men and a Wardrobe (?!). Sadly the movie vanished without trace when the school closed, it's probably locked away in a dusty vault somewhere lying dormant waiting for a future generation to discover, assuming the old 8mm film has not sucumbed to the raviges of time.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
Rightly or wrongly I believed the vehicle shown in the pic of the school post #2 is a van (A35 or similar) but Threader AWJD quite rightly questions this on Post #96 on the Industrial Birmingham Thread, I've looked at the pic a number of times (even projected the slide to giant size) but so far the vehicle's identity eludes me, so let's look at the facts, true it is more likely to be a car as the shot was taken June 1961 ie within term time, a tradesman was more likely to be working there out of term. I was at the school then (I started in 1960) and teachers with cars were in very short supply, Mr Jones Artmaster had a white Mini, which he parked in the rear playground near the entrance door closest to the artroom, if any of the other teachers did have cars they did not park them on the school site, the only exception to this was Mr A E Walker, Headmaster who had, during my time at the school, an Austin A55 Cambridge, and he did park it where the vehicle is in the pic - so, mystery solved, right? Not sure, does it look like an A55 Cambridge? The time reference is about right, those cars came on sale in 1957. 
School pic: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg655118#msg655118
Peg.

AWJD

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
It is a poor image but the vehicle seems to be painted bluey grey in colour and appears to have a white roof. It also seems to also have a flatish rear rather than a projecting boot like that of an Austin A30 or A55. My best guess is that it might well be an Austin Mini.

AWJD

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2019, 03:31:49 PM »
This 1961 Mini looks to fit the bill!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
I live in Hampshire now and I got a quote for a new front door the other day, the saleman was Czechoslovakian, I greeted him and asked him to come in and sit down, first thing he said to me was Which part of Birmingham are you from?
CSE English Grade 3 -  well worth the effort, right!(?)
Peg.