Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 43995 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2022, 09:53:51 AM »
Fed up with my posts of The Bicycle Thief? Let's have a break - follow this link for a good shot of the Lucas Gt King St factory and surrounding area, is that Harry Lucas Senior School to the left of the factory? ::) 
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW029688
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2022, 10:11:43 AM »
peg what an exciting life you have had ::)
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2022, 10:27:58 AM »
peg what an exciting life you have had ::)
It's very gracious of you to say so, Roy.

Spud

« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2022, 10:37:46 AM »
Although I worked for Lucas for over 30 years I did not often get To GKS. I was sent to King St around the time of the Silver Jubilee. At the time Lucas gave
each employee  a Silver Crown Coin. I was sent to GKS to collect the coins for one of the smaller factories which was situated  in Penn Buckinghamshire
I was directed to the Wages dept there were 1000s of these coins they were everywhere. I think I collected about a 100 or so. I gave mine to one of my Grand Children

Certainly will not be any coins given away by Lucas at his Jubilee
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2022, 10:54:33 AM »
iv done nothing like that peg apart from jumping out of one of them big things that you see in the sky with a bit of rag stopping me from hitting the ground   and some one running after me shouting bang bang if he was not shouting it must have been the thing he was holding in his hand and some one must have been having party with lots of fire work
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2022, 03:26:00 PM »
iv done nothing like that peg apart from jumping out of one of them big things that you see in the sky with a bit of rag stopping me from hitting the ground   and some one running after me shouting bang bang if he was not shouting it must have been the thing he was holding in his hand and some one must have been having party with lots of fire work
Total respect for you, Roy, and all like you.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #138 on: May 20, 2022, 11:54:43 PM »
.......is that Harry Lucas Senior School to the left of the factory? ::) 
https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW029688
The answer, of course, is No. The shot was taken, as stated, 1950, the three ages of the building:
Burbury Street Board School 1891-1954
Harry Lucas County Primary School 1954-1958
Harry Lucas Senior School 1958-1969

Peg Monkey

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2022, 06:47:07 PM »
The Bicycle Thief - Techy stuff: As mentioned the silent movie was shot in 8mm which is only really suitable for home use, it would have been much better if we had been able to shoot in 16mm but with a budget of 0£ that was not possible, anyway we did the best with the equipment we had.
Image 1. - I used Mr Jones' 8mm cine camera with a zoom lens, similar to that shown in Image 1.
Image 2. - Clapper board, me and a mate made it in the woodwork shop, clapper was superfluous (film was silent.)
Image 3. - The tripod shown in this image is actually the one I used (courtesy Mr Jones) but it was too flimsy but it was improved when me an a mate built a stout wooden support frame in the woodwork shop to attach it to, this improved things but I was highly delighted when Mr Jones turned up one day with an industrial grade tripod which he had borrowed from the Joseph Lucas Cinematography Club.
Image 4. Mr Jones supplied the editor (enabled the finished film to be viewed frame by frame as it is wound by hand through a small screen, unwanted sections could be cut out and the film re-joined.)
Image 5. Mr Jones' 8mm home projector was far too puny for public presentations but somehow we managed, it remains a mystery how we managed to show the movie in the main hall at speech day November 1964.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2022, 03:46:17 PM »
The Bicycle Thief - Epilogue. So, as good as the movie was could it have been better? - Yes. With the benefit of hindsight there should also have been a villainess - Bonnie & Clyde Style, would have added a great dynamic to the plot, and, something else that wasn't considered, - a sequel.
Ah well! Too late now.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2022, 03:42:04 PM »
The Bicycle Thief - The End? So, when the movie was premiered on School Speech Day, November 1964 was that The End? Pretty much, the school had seen the movie prior to Speech Day, I was fortunate to receive the 1964 Parent-Teacher Association Award for my contribution towards making the film (a copy of the book Amateur Cinematography), after that the class had to knuckle down to prepare for the forthcoming CSE exams, late Spring 1965.
Mr Cole, Music Master, composer and performer of The Bicycle Thief music score, stayed on at HLS until 1965 (the year I left to search for my pot of gold) and I recently learned (unconfirmed) the local police were so impressed with the quality of the Bicycle Thief they borrowed it and showed it on their visits to local schools, presumably as part of a Keep your bike safe campaign....and, get this, they never returned the film....can that really be true? 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2022, 09:42:00 PM »
The Bicycle Thief - The final word: I think that's all I can say about the movie, it would be great if the film was found, digitised and uploaded to The Forum's main Board: Birmingham Photos and Videos.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy