Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 44288 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2022, 07:40:11 PM »
Thankfully Peg, I’ve always been near the bottom of the ladder, not too far to fall and never had to look over my shoulder. Taking the scenic route through life has been a great experience  O0
I envy anyone who has a natural talent, I remember being at The UCE studying Quality Control (or should that be Reading? Anyway...) I hung on the lecturer's every word for a  2 hour Statistical Analysis session and a guy, at the back of the class, who messed about for the whole of the session still had a better grasp of the subject :-[
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2022, 04:29:27 PM »
It's exam results day for seniors just about to leave school and I was reminded time for me to have a good bitch about my CSE Woodwork Grade.
I was consistently in the top 2 in my woodwork class for the whole of my 5 years at HLS, receiving 2 school prizes and I was confident of getting a really good CSE grade, possibly even a 1, so what did I get? A grade 4. Defied belief.
I was fortunate to gain a prize each year I was at HLS 1960-65, sometimes 2 prizes.....

Gwladmab

« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2022, 07:32:49 PM »
I was fortunate to gain a prize each year I was at HLS 1960-65, sometimes 2 prizes.....
I never got a prize in school, I did get the top score for absence though.

It was in later life (25ish, years of age) I fancied a change. Signed up for evening class, Human Biology O Level at the local tech (it interested me) At the end of term, I sat the first (no second exam, first was 11+ failed that) of my life.

I sat there for 2.5hours scribbling my answers. I walked out of the college. I didn’t check to see if I’d passed when the results came out, thinking I’d failed.

Months later, I got home from work one day, covered in pine sap, from falling and landing timber all day. My other half looked at me and said you’ve got an ‘A’! What you on about? I said. You’ve got an A, I called your Tutor! my other half said the Tutor was amazed that I didn’t know as I was the only one to get grade A.

I have poor grammar and spelling, however I’ve not allowed it to hold me back. The rest is history.....

A message for anyone that’s got kids at school, not doing well, keep an open mind. One day that kid just might just surprise you.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2022, 08:41:14 PM »
I never got a prize in school, I did get the top score for absence though.
It was in later life (25ish, years of age) I fancied a change. Signed up for evening class, Human Biology O Level at the local tech (it interested me) At the end of term, I sat the first (no second exam, first was 11+ failed that) of my life.
I sat there for 2.5hours scribbling my answers. I walked out of the college. I didn’t check to see if I’d passed when the results came out, thinking I’d failed.
Months later, I got home from work one day, covered in pine sap, from falling and landing timber all day. My other half looked at me and said you’ve got an ‘A’! What you on about? I said. You’ve got an A, I called your Tutor! my other half said the Tutor was amazed that I didn’t know as I was the only one to get grade A.
I have poor grammar and spelling, however I’ve not allowed it to hold me back. The rest is history.....
A message for anyone that’s got kids at school, not doing well, keep an open mind. One day that kid just might just surprise you.
Mrs GW must have had remarkable insight to see your hidden talents ::)

frederick

« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2022, 10:14:23 AM »
My better schooldays were spent studying at until I was 22 at three different Collage's studying my trade I enjoyed being at Collage. I then had ballroom dancing lessons.   O0    And my last studies were two years at night school leaning Spanish.     8)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Peg Monkey

« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2022, 10:42:45 AM »
My better schooldays were spent studying at until I was 22 at three different Collage's studying my trade I enjoyed being at Collage. I then had ballroom dancing lessons.   O0    And my last studies were two years at night school leaning Spanish.     8)
Never stop learning, do we Fred?

frederick

« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2022, 11:02:58 AM »
Peg,
I was learning something yesterday on my iPad off a much younger person it was the fingerprint they ask you for. It was showing me the fingerprint to cover on screen nothing else but you have to cover the start button on the side of the iPad, I'm happy now.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2022, 11:32:36 AM »
Peg,
I was learning something yesterday on my iPad off a much younger person it was the fingerprint they ask you for. It was showing me the fingerprint to cover on screen nothing else but you have to cover the start button on the side of the iPad, I'm happy now.
Sounds a bit too hi tech for me Fred, I can just a bout cope with a regular on-off button on my trusted laptop.
Learned Spanish, hey? My worst subject at school was French - Peg Monkey, anglaise, ill est stupido, bon?
P.S. Great new avatar O0

frederick

« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
Yes elefant rock.    O0

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2022, 01:07:54 PM »
See your English  wasn't to good then fred
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »
See your English  wasn't to good then fred
I got CSE Grade 3 English - probably as good as you can expect from someone born within about a 100m distance from the Brummie Accent Epicentre.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy