Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 2899 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »
That would have been too easy, Ed. Real Youth Hostelling is all about coping with numerous blisters and struggling with a back pack at least twice your body weight, so that if you fall forward wearing it you are pinned helplessly to the ground. (Actually, thinking about it, falling backward is just as bad, you end up like a flipped turtle).
That trip was the start of me adopting the ways of the Samurai, believing only total self-denial is the true path to righteousness(?!!).
Peg.
P.S. Maybe I'm making too light of your challenge, was there a risk of blisters in the saddle area?

Peg Monkey

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »
The undoubted high point of my school week was the double period of Woodwork on Thursday afternoon, closely followed by Technical Drawing and Metalwork, was I any good at them? My C.S.E. grades partly answer that (see my post #16), if I did stand a chance of getting a Grade 1 it was going to be one of that group.  What was difficult to explain was my disasterous Grade 4 Woodwork, I was pretty good at woodwork, I'd won 2 school prizes during my time at the school, so such a poor C.S.E. Grade was difficult to explain and it was always going to be difficult to have a  post mortem - we didn't get our C.S.E. results until July/August and of course by that time the school had closed for the summer and everyone had been cast to the 4 winds.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 11:37:21 PM »
Do the kids of today know about woodwork or metalwork we learned such a lot in our youth unlike today's school children.We even keep Pigs at our school over 12 months even gardening

Peg Monkey

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
Couldn't agree more, Ed; we seem to be failing in our obligations to pass skills on to future generations, who was it that said we are becoming a nation of shopkeepers?
Peg.
P.S. How does the spel chuck werk? I click on the button but nothing happens.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
Memoirs of a School Projectionist
I'd expressed an interest in photography early on in my time at HLS and when I got to the 4th year I was asked if I would be school projectionist, I accepted even though really I couldn't afford to miss any periods, especially maths, as it turned out the duty wasn't arduous with a film show taking place every 2 or 3 months in the Art Room.
The school had a decent 16mm projector (with sound) and the school was on some kind of film circuit with a film just turning up occasionally, being passed on from another school.
Early on in my important position I got caught out when the previous user of the film had not re-wound it, so the performance had to be interrupted whilst I put matters right, which wasn't a quick job as the projector had a complex film path, but even worse than this was if the film broke mid-performance. Usually a riot ensued with some teachers better able to quell the disorder than others, Mrs Cadman (Deputy Head) was particulary good at riot control.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
Mine works fine

Peg Monkey

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
Thanks Ed, I get message pop-up blocked upper right on screen - might be my anti-virus.
Peg.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

this post by peg monkey was put on mod report so iv put where it was intended to go

Couldn't agree more, Ed; we seem to be failing in our obligations to pass skills on to future generations, who was it that said we are becoming a nation of shopkeepers?

P.S. How does the spel chuck werk? I click on the button but nothing happens. [/font]

spell check just click on to it and it will show you the words that you are not sure of but do not worry about it roy

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Peg Monkey

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
So, commuting from the Lyndhurst Estate Erdington was costly and time consuming with few pluses, perhaps only one: My name's Peg and I'm a Train Spotter at least I was, I'm cured now.
I caught the bug from classmates when I was in the second year (1961) and occasionally I took a different route home, instead of catching the Inner Circle 8 by Farm St School to Aston Cross (to get the 64) I walked to the top of Hockley Hill and caught a bus to the top of Snow Hill, I then walked to Snow Hill Station.
Unlike New St Station Snow Hill welcomed Train Spotters as long as you purchased a platform ticket (3d). I would settle down on my favourite bench and spot.
The age of steam was now passing rapidly, but there was the odd steam loco to be seen, usually a Castle, a Hall or a Manor.
If I was lucky I had a sandwich or two left and a few pence to buy a cup of tea from the refreshment bar otherwise I had to starve until I got home usually about 7.45pm, I stayed at the station until 7.00 to see the Glasgow bound Pullman, although this was pulled by a diesel at least it was named - a Western Class diesel such as Western Enterprise, Western Yeoman or the like.
In between train arrivals I tried to do some homework but I wasn't very productive.
Come 7.00pm I would pack up my things and head for the 64 Bus Stop in Steelhouse Lane.
Peg.   

Peg Monkey

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
When salad was on the lunchtime menu I would seek alternative catering arrangements: Chippy in New John St. West or Cafe corner of Bridge St. West and Farm St. or Tuck Shop corner of Burbury St. and Farm St.
Jamie Oliver would not have approved.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »
Loved the runny Salad Cream out of the round pot.Yum Yum