Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 6533 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »
As far as salads go they were good - nicely prepared and well presented - Bread Roll? - suffice to say if you were unlucky enough to catch a flying one on the temple as like as not it was fatal.
Peg.
P.S. My apologees to all fellow threaders if you spot a spalling eror - spallchuck just not werking for me.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
Playing Fields - Visits to the playing fields in Rookery Rd, Handsworth was another high point in my school week, seems ironic the school was so close to Burbury Park and we were still bussed to Rookery Rd, understandable - Burbury Park in those days was just a barren wasteland, don't know what it's like now.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
School Trips - Two trips (1961, my 2nd year) that stick in my mind are to Webb Corbett (Stourbridge) to see how glass crystal products were made and to a manufacturer of stained glass windows (name escapes me) near the old science museum.
I can't remember any seaside trips at HLS (unlike my junior school, Farm St, where we went on a number, usually by train).

In latter years at HLS me and my close associates made a number of trips to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, we soon realised if we just happened to mention our plan to Mr Jones, Art Master, to visit the Art Gallery he would  often accompany us, in which case he gave us a lift in his white mini, that also meant I only had to get one bus home.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2018, 09:34:01 PM »
Summer 1964 (my 4th year) saw a tennis tournament with fewer contestants than Wimbledon (and no audience) but with every bit as much elation, despair, triumph, failure and pain (especially pain) when one fine evening after school 6 of us made our way to Summerfield Park.
We'd only got 4 rackets but no matter we shared and had a great time, eventually play drew to a close (no outright winner emerged) and the 6 of us took to the court for the final - 4 players with rackets one with a shoe for a racket, can't remember the other implement, anyway big Barry served an ace and Brian unfortunately couldn't get his shoe to the ball before it hit him in a most vulnerable place - he dropped like a stone in pain, the rest of us also dropped like a stone, laughing (great to have sympathetic mates, right?).
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »
In my post #8 (Re The Bicycle Thief) the music teacher mentioned was Mr Cole, a very talented piano and classical guitar player who rode a Francis Barnet motor cycle. He practiced guitar in the art room at lunch times and during his performances Mr Jones, Art Teacher and a talented artist, captured Mr Cole's magic in oils.
Mr Cole's inspirational performances caused me to redouble my efforts to learn the guitar but I came to the conclusion (many years later) it's not enough to want to do something and work hard, you have to have an aptitude.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »
Hi Folks, doubt has been cast over the accuracy of the info' contained in my Post #18 re 1stA BB and HLS, my recollections are shrouded by the sands of time (over half a century) and, so far, efforts to confirm my memories have been fruitless, if anyone can make a contribution on the topic, however small, that will be great.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
Moderators (or anyone in the know) -  I've recently been promoted to Junior, what are the other milestones?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2018, 03:31:39 PM »
After school clubs - Anyone join one? I only remember 2 (I feel sure there must have been more): Folk Dancing (run by Mr Watson) was one, which I didn't join (but should have done) and Fencing (the sword variety) which I did.
Living so far away from school was a disadvantage when it came to after school clubs, faced with a 1 hour commute I was usually pretty keen to get on my way home as soon as school had finished.
Anyway, the Fencing Club was run by the Joseph Lucas Fencing Club, who generously devoted their time and expertise and provided the equipment.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
Chess Club? On the subject of after school clubs does anyone remember a chess club? I don't and if my recollection is correct it's quite surprising. I suppose my association with chess started during my first visit to Bockleton (see my post #7), some classmates could already play and others that couldn't soon learned the moves, strategy came much later. I was OK but certainly no grand master, by the time I had got to the fifth year (Form G3, home classroom: the library) a fellow classmate had emerged as a junior champion, I can't remember at what level he played but he certainly won a number of significant tournaments.
But the amazing thing was not only was he brilliant at chess he had a photographic memory; not only could he beat any member of the class in minutes, he could just as easily win with his back to the board, if I hadn't seen it I would find it difficult to believe.
He was able to memorise every move that took place, both his and his opponent's - what a talent! I wonder what he is doing now?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »
The Life and Times of The School - briefly.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2018, 11:26:52 PM »
Evening Classes - 1902. The attached poster features Burbury St School as a venue for adult education, JNO is an abbreviation for a first name, but I can't remember what it is. :-[
Peg.
P.S. Apparently JNO is short for John, (seems hardly worth it for one letter).