Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 5371 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2018, 11:40:06 PM »
School Prizes - I was fortunate enough to gain a prize each year I was at HLS, sometimes two. I show these below not for self-glorification but to enrich the HLS thread.
I would gladly have exchanged the Art and two Woodwork Prizes for a Maths Prize, but, alas, it was not to be.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 10:39:34 PM »
Preparing for CSE Woodwork: I'm in the fifth year (Form G3) and I'm working frantically to prepare submissions for my CSE Woodwork, one of my pieces is a laminated bowl being produced on the one and only lathe in the Woodwork Workshop. Competition is fierce to use the lathe and I ask Mr Flemming (Woodwork Master)  if I can use it one period when he has first formers, who I know will not be allowed to use the machine.
I'm now keen to make progress: I secure my part finished bowl to the lathe's face plate, select top speed on the gearbox, select the biggest gouging chisel I can find and turn the machine on.
I now have an audience of first formers around me who are impressed by the woodchips flying in all directions like shrapnel as I attack my bowl like a thing possessed.
Suddenly my bowl,  now rotating at I guess 2000 rpm, separates from the face plate, passes over my left shoulder and hurtles down the workshop scattering first formers like nine pins - it's a complete mystery how no-one was injured, in fact had the bowl come off the face plate an instant earlier it would have gone straight through the workshop window.
I become an overnight legend amongst first formers.
Peg.
P.S. Did the bowl survive? - Yes, testament to it's sound construction.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
School closure 1969 - I recall a mournful article (I think in the Birmingham Evening Mail) on or about the date of the school's closure in 1969. The article included a photo of a sad Mr Walker (Headmaster) with the school's trophies in the background - one of these days I'll try and find it, it's a must have for this thread - no problem if you beat me to it!
Peg.
P.S. I believe the school site became a Joseph Lucas carpark, anyone know what it is now?.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 10:25:49 AM »
My Post #45: Drawing of the finished bowl.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
this post by peg monkey was put on mod report so iv put where it was intended to go

Couldn't agree more, Ed; we seem to be failing in our obligations to pass skills on to future generations, who was it that said we are becoming a nation of shopkeepers?

P.S. How does the spel chuck werk? I click on the button but nothing happens. [/font]

spell check just click on to it and it will show you the words that you are not sure of but do not worry about it roy

Hi Roy, this Post (my #25) was circulated directly to Mods because it contained a question re spell check. The facility does not work for me, when I click on Spell Check I get the message: Pop-up blocked. It seems my anti-virus does not like what the Forum is sending to me and treats it as a threat.
Peg.
P.S. Had one last go - still no loock, Ah well! Jus have to take mor care with mi speling!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
Do I hear a thousand voices shouting: Why did your bowl fly off the lathe? - Probably not, anyway what happened was this (not my fault) inorder to avoid screw holes in the underside of the bowl Mr Flemming told me of a technique which involved using a sheet of paper between the bowl and the mounting block, in so doing the bowl could be easily seperated when finished - a quick look at the lathe set-up below should help.
So in short the paper had glue both sides of it but the strength of the assembly was entirely dependent on the strength of the thin sheet of paper, which of course was an accident waiting to happen, the sheet of paper actually seperated into two under the pressure of bowl manufacture.
The irony is there was no need to worry about screw holes in the bottom of the bowl, they were going to be hidden by a felt disc.
Peg.
P.S. Is that the end of the tale? No! 

Peg Monkey

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
School closure.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:45 PM »
Considering there were so many hazards in the Woodwork Shop (Boiling gluepot, countless sharp edges, finger bashing things, lathe,) there were surprisingly few accidents.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
I read somewhere the male of the species deliberately seeks out danger, I don't think that's the case with me - it seeks me out.
It's early summer and Parents' Day is on the horizon (it could have been July 1963 or more likely 1964), and Art Master, Mr Jones, like all the teachers is busy preparing displays for parents' scrutiny, he's working with the 2nd year to produce some kind of stained glass window and he approaches me.......
"Peg, need a lighting kit to back-light a stained glass window display, are you up for it?"
"Is it dangerous, sir?"
"240volts, 4 x 100 watt bulbs......"
"That'll do nicely, Sir, consider it done."
It's basic stuff (a board with 4 light fittings mounted on it, lead and 13amp plug)  and I'm soon ready for a trial light-up, Mr Jones is leading a class, I'm at the back of the room ready for launch, I take a deep breath and throw the swich........much to the classes' amusement there is an almighty bang and a flash.
The failure appeared catastrophic but the accident investigation revealed a simple over-load in part of the wiring which was soon rectified.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
My fruit bowl - The Final Chapter. My bowl survived its lathe ordeal and was completed as planned, with a satin beeswax finish it looked quite stylish, Mr Flemming was pleased with the final result and I was delighted.
But my elation was short lived.
I took the bowl home and my parents were delighted it was immediately pressed into service and put on the sideboard, charged with fresh fruit and here it sat happily for a week or two and then one day as I was taking an apple from it I noticed some of the layers were separating - disaster!
I took the bowl back to school and Mr Flemming studied it, what had gone wrong? - individual layers had warped and broken apart, obviously the warp forces within the timber were stronger than the glue bonding the layers together. We deliberated over possible corrective measures and came up with what we hoped would not only be a solution but infact potentially could even enhance the look of the bowl. The plan was to cut a series of thin slots around the outer circumference and, after inserting glue into the gaps that had appeared, the bowl would be squashed flat in a vice and thin slivers of hardwood veneer inserted into the slots and the glue allowed to cure (see drawing) Did it work? - No.
I then tried a very crude repair (I'd got nothing to lose) and screwed large screws up from the underside to try and pull the layers together, did that work? No.
So what I thought was a sure thing for inclusion in my CSE Woodwork Exam Portfolio wasn't.
The bowl languished at the bottom of my wardrobe for a while before being discarded.
Peg.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
Peg,made a small bedside light out of copper tubing in metal work.Mr Tickel metal work teacher said it was worth 5 bob of anybody's money.This was in 1954 felt so proud O0 O0