Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 6054 times)

Barncrofter

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
I was a teacher at the school. It was my first post after college. In at the deep end!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
I was a teacher at the school. It was my first post after college. In at the deep end!
Interesting, I'm guessing Mr Walker, Headmaster, was instrumental in you being appointed, as a matter of interest was Miss Chivvers in post during your tenure?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »
All the time I was at HLS (1960-65) I tried desperately to get into the school football team, but to stand a chance of selection you had to be one of the PE master's circle of friends and I wasn't. I did get selected to play once but I think that was because there was shortage of players. Ah well that's life! :(
Peg.
P.S I know what you are thinking: Maybe it was just a case of Peg being rubbish at football. :(

astoness

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:46 AM »
hello barncrofter would you happen to have any photographs of the school..inside or out as they are very thin on the ground...my brother went to harry lucas and before that my dad the school at that time was called burbury st school

all the best

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
hello barncrofter would you happen to have any photographs of the school..inside or out as they are very thin on the ground...my brother went to harry lucas and before that my dad the school at that time was called burbury st school

all the best

lyn
I'll second Lyn's request and add another - did you ever come across the classic 8mm silent movie The Bicycle thief? Claimed by the odd person to be years behind it's time, it was a movie made by my form G2 (4th year) in 1964 although silent there was a piano  accompanyment composed and performed by the then music master Mr Cole (who was also a fantastic classical guitar player). When the school closed the film vanished without trace which is a pity as it was a valuable record of the life and times of the school in 1964. The movie was premiered at the Speech Day cNov of that year to widespread acclaim.
Even if it could be found it my have secumbed to the sands of time and be nothing more than a chemical infused blob of plastic in a film canister. :-[
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »
1960-65: One day every month, or two, the artroom was given over for cinema duties (I was projectionist in my final 2 years, more about that later) when a movie was screened, usually of the educational or safety genre but occasionally non-main stream cinema fiction, I can't remember Polanski's Two Men and a Wardrobe being  screened or not but it would certainly have been a contender.
Ah! Happy Days! :)
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »
When a teacher (probably the artmaster) approached me to see if I was interested in becoming the school projectionist I accepted without hesitation and so in my last 2 years (G2 & G3, 1964 & 5) I held the post, luckily it wasn't too demanding because in truth I could ill afford to miss any lessons, particularly maths.
The school had a good quality projector (similar to the one shown in the attachment) with a reel capacity of 2000ft, which meant it would be most unlikley there was a break in the performance to change the reel. Threading was a bit tricky because it was a sound projector, the sound track on the film (like an old fashioned tape recorder) is out of phaze with the image, usually lagging behind where it follows a path around the sound drum this is why we still see on TV today speech and image sometimes being out of sync.
During my early showings I soon learned I could not trust the previous user of the film to have re-wound it, but I soon learned to always check - there was always a riot if the film ran backwards at the start of the performance and it took a strong nerve when being booed and whistled at to calmly rewind and re-thread.
Ah! Happy Days!. :)
Peg.
P.S. The school projector was state of the art but comparing it now with a computer based projector it looks positively archaic, but everything has its season and that will be the case with current image production.