Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 43986 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »
Thanks Ed, I get message pop-up blocked upper right on screen - might be my anti-virus.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

this post by peg monkey was put on mod report so iv put where it was intended to go

Couldn't agree more, Ed; we seem to be failing in our obligations to pass skills on to future generations, who was it that said we are becoming a nation of shopkeepers?

P.S. How does the spel chuck werk? I click on the button but nothing happens. [/font]

spell check just click on to it and it will show you the words that you are not sure of but do not worry about it roy

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 07:09:54 PM »
Loved the runny Salad Cream out of the round pot.Yum Yum
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Peg Monkey

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
Playing Fields - Visits to the playing fields in Rookery Rd, Handsworth was another high point in my school week, seems ironic the school was so close to Burbury Park and we were still bussed to Rookery Rd, understandable - Burbury Park in those days was just a barren wasteland, don't know what it's like now.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
School Trips - Two trips (1961, my 2nd year) that stick in my mind are to Webb Corbett (Stourbridge) to see how glass crystal products were made and to a manufacturer of stained glass windows (name escapes me) near the old science museum.
I can't remember any seaside trips at HLS (unlike my junior school, Farm St, where we went on a number, usually by train).

In latter years at HLS me and my close associates made a number of trips to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, we soon realised if we just happened to mention our plan to Mr Jones, Art Master, to visit the Art Gallery he would  often accompany us, in which case he gave us a lift in his white mini, that also meant I only had to get one bus home.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 11:19:29 AM »
Hi Folks, doubt has been cast over the accuracy of the info' contained in my Post #18 re 1stA BB and HLS, my recollections are shrouded by the sands of time (over half a century) and, so far, efforts to confirm my memories have been fruitless, if anyone can make a contribution on the topic, however small, that will be great.
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 11:22:30 AM »
Moderators (or anyone in the know) -  I've recently been promoted to Junior, what are the other milestones?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
Chess Club? On the subject of after school clubs does anyone remember a chess club? I don't and if my recollection is correct it's quite surprising. I suppose my association with chess started during my first visit to Bockleton (see my post #7), some classmates could already play and others that couldn't soon learned the moves, strategy came much later. I was OK but certainly no grand master, by the time I had got to the fifth year (Form G3, home classroom: the library) a fellow classmate had emerged as a junior champion, I can't remember at what level he played but he certainly won a number of significant tournaments.
But the amazing thing was not only was he brilliant at chess he had a photographic memory; not only could he beat any member of the class in minutes, he could just as easily win with his back to the board, if I hadn't seen it I would find it difficult to believe.
He was able to memorise every move that took place, both his and his opponent's - what a talent! I wonder what he is doing now?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
School closure 1969 - I recall a mournful article (I think in the Birmingham Evening Mail) on or about the date of the school's closure in 1969. The article included a photo of a sad Mr Walker (Headmaster) with the school's trophies in the background - one of these days I'll try and find it, it's a must have for this thread - no problem if you beat me to it!
Peg.
P.S. I believe the school site became a Joseph Lucas carpark, anyone know what it is now?.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
this post by peg monkey was put on mod report so iv put where it was intended to go

Couldn't agree more, Ed; we seem to be failing in our obligations to pass skills on to future generations, who was it that said we are becoming a nation of shopkeepers?

P.S. How does the spel chuck werk? I click on the button but nothing happens. [/font]

spell check just click on to it and it will show you the words that you are not sure of but do not worry about it roy

Hi Roy, this Post (my #25) was circulated directly to Mods because it contained a question re spell check. The facility does not work for me, when I click on Spell Check I get the message: Pop-up blocked. It seems my anti-virus does not like what the Forum is sending to me and treats it as a threat.
Peg.
P.S. Had one last go - still no loock, Ah well! Jus have to take mor care with mi speling!

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
Peg,made a small bedside light out of copper tubing in metal work.Mr Tickel metal work teacher said it was worth 5 bob of anybody's money.This was in 1954 felt so proud O0 O0
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy