Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 43971 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »
http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1452.msg668173#msg668173

Note for Astoness Lyn.
The 1stA Company The Boys' Brigade met at Burbury St School (for drill parade, PT, band practice, etc) when it first started in 1913 and remained there until it moved to the Peoples' Chapel Building in Nov 1967.
I was at Harry Lucas 1960-1965 therefore the company was there during my tenure and for 2 years after.
(Info' source: 100% insider reliability).
Sorry for delay in update - I only got the info' yesterday.
Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

astoness

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2018, 06:17:34 PM »
thanks peg...yes my brother who was also at harry lucas was in the BB...was lucky enough to find his attendance record off the BB site some years back O0

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
This is an appeal for info' I put out every now and again - when I was in G2 (4th year, 1964) we made a movie entitled The Bicycle Thief which was hailed as a classic (by the odd person) but it vanished without trace when the school closed down - any idea of its whereabouts?
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
I should have been revising! In my final year at HLS (1964-65) I chose to sit 6 CSE subjects (as previously posted) which meant me and my associates had a number of free periods during the week, so we used them to good effect revising, right? Not always. We made more than the odd trip to Handsworth Park for a voyage on the canoes. You'll notice the old map on the following link refers to the park as Victoria Park.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.5104&lon=-1.9254&layers=168&b=6
Peg.
P.S. So the rest of the time  we swotted right? No. Most of the time we gate-crashed the delectable Miss Chivvers' classes - didn't matter what the subject was, she tolerated us remarkably well - had I been her I would have thrown us out.

Barncrofter

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 04:53:05 PM »
Joined the school in 1966 remained until it closed. Tough school but many tears were shed on the last day.Lots of really fond memories of pupils and staff.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
Joined the school in 1966 remained until it closed. Tough school but many tears were shed on the last day.Lots of really fond memories of pupils and staff.
Hi Barncrofter, welcome to The Forum.
It's interesting you were at HLS in it's run-up to closure 1969 (I was there 1960-65), if my maths are correct you then had to transfer to another school for your final 2 years, where did you go?
Peg.

Barncrofter

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
I was a teacher at the school. It was my first post after college. In at the deep end!

Peg Monkey

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 09:28:08 PM »
I was a teacher at the school. It was my first post after college. In at the deep end!
Interesting, I'm guessing Mr Walker, Headmaster, was instrumental in you being appointed, as a matter of interest was Miss Chivvers in post during your tenure?
Peg.

astoness

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:46 AM »
hello barncrofter would you happen to have any photographs of the school..inside or out as they are very thin on the ground...my brother went to harry lucas and before that my dad the school at that time was called burbury st school

all the best

lyn

Peg Monkey

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »
hello barncrofter would you happen to have any photographs of the school..inside or out as they are very thin on the ground...my brother went to harry lucas and before that my dad the school at that time was called burbury st school

all the best

lyn
I'll second Lyn's request and add another - did you ever come across the classic 8mm silent movie The Bicycle thief? Claimed by the odd person to be years behind it's time, it was a movie made by my form G2 (4th year) in 1964 although silent there was a piano  accompanyment composed and performed by the then music master Mr Cole (who was also a fantastic classical guitar player). When the school closed the film vanished without trace which is a pity as it was a valuable record of the life and times of the school in 1964. The movie was premiered at the Speech Day cNov of that year to widespread acclaim.
Even if it could be found it my have secumbed to the sands of time and be nothing more than a chemical infused blob of plastic in a film canister. :-[
Peg.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
If you are interested in the Harry Lucas School - Joseph Lucas Ltd connection use the following link to the Industrial Birmingham Thread: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14299.msg693034#msg693034.
Peg.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy