Author Topic: Harry Lucas School  (Read 43966 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Harry Lucas School
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 11:04:45 PM »
Used to teach art 1966-1969 when the school closed. My first teaching job, had a great time there.
Hi Bodger, I attended HLS 1960-65, in the same class: Michael Leddy, Ex Lord Mayor of Birmingham.
Peg
Link: Tried to insert a couple but both rubbish, sorry, you'll find Mike on Wikipedia, Lord Mayors of Birmingham
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:17 PM »
Welcome Bodger, pity you didn't teach there a few years earlier, you could have give us the low down on a certain Mr Peg Monkey.
I prefer to keep a low profile, Net, Me and Mrs M posed for a charity pic a while ago, I agreed to do it on the condition it would not appear in the Police Gazette. :-[
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2021, 11:22:32 PM »
It's good to see a bit of dialogue on this thread - plenty of views, as you can see, but not a lot of comments, sadly the school vanished without trace many years ago and now only exists in the minds of those who attended there, and the odd priceless pic: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg655118#msg655118
Peg

Peg Monkey

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 08:43:12 PM »
Sobering thought: The School closed in 1969 and raised to the ground shortly after for the Joseph Lucas, Gt King St, carpark, that's 52 years ago, if you were a 21 year old teacher at the school when it closed you are now 73.
Stay virus-free.
Peg
P.S. Does anyone know what now occupies the site where the school once stood? The northern boundary of the school site was Farm Street and the southern Bridge St West.
Link school plan: http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12554.msg655119#msg655119

Peg Monkey

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2021, 04:30:17 PM »
For all my stay at HLS I commuted from the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington - 64 to Aston Cross then the Inner Circle 8. Why? - It's a long story, but I've explained in a post somewhere on this topic :-[
Peg
Link Aston Cross:  https://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15040.msg669228#msg669228
P.S. In case you don't know the building behind the tram is Ansell's Brewery, it's fragrance, together with HP Sauce, just made up the road, pervaded the whole area when they were both in full swing.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2021, 04:35:25 PM »
Ready for a disaster story of epic proportions? Coming soon - my CSE results. :-[ :-[ :-[
Peg

Horton10

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »
 ... reporting for duty Peg!
Horton10
 ;D

Peg Monkey

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2021, 06:16:13 PM »
... reporting for duty Peg!
Horton10
 ;D
Good to hear from you, as always, Horton10.
The school started life as Burbury Street Board  School but I doubt anyone attended there from Heaton Street, there were closer schools, having said that, I ended up at St Mary's Infant School in Handsworth: My Mom worked full time and after only a few weeks at Brookfields School (near Hockley Station) I was moved to St Mary's and then after just a few weeks moved again to Farm Street Infant School - why? My mother's choice of School for me was wholly dependant on who she could find to look after me.
So, I well remember the start of my school days for all the wrong reasons.
Ah well! That's life - it was 66 years ago.
Peg

Horton10

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2021, 06:37:20 PM »
I can sympathise with you Peg - I too went to several different schools at an early age due to my family moving from Birmingham to Norfolk. The only advantage to this mix and match start to my school career was that it probably made me a little more self reliant and adaptable to change.
Horton10

Peg Monkey

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
I can sympathise with you Peg - I too went to several different schools at an early age due to my family moving from Birmingham to Norfolk. The only advantage to this mix and match start to my school career was that it probably made me a little more self reliant and adaptable to change.
Horton10
I'm not comfortable with change and I put it down to my bad start at school, who was it that said? Give me the boy until he is five and I'll give you the man? (Might have been Kipling).
Peg

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2021, 07:52:41 PM »
Thought he only made cakes. His he teaching how to be a chef at that age ;D
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy