Author Topic: Cafe on the corner of Highgate Road & Kywicks Lane  (Read 1284 times)

Andy Capp

Cafe on the corner of Highgate Road & Kywicks Lane
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »
CAN ANYONE REMEMBER THE CAFE ON THE CORNER OF HIGHGATE ROAD & KYWICKS LANE. MY DAD & MYSELF USED IT IN THE LATE 1950S & EARLY 1960S. THE OWNER WAS CALLED FRED I CANT REMEMBER THE SURNAME. HE WAS HAD A GREAT BIG TEA POT ALWAYS BREWING ON TOP OF A HOT WATER URN. YOU COULD ALWAYS GET A GOOD BACON & SAUSAGE & TOMATOE SANDWICH & A NICE MUG OF TEA. HE ALSO DID A NICE PIECE OF BREAD PUDDING. ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Global Moderator
Re: Cafe on the corner of Highgate Road & Kywicks Lane
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »
Andy Capp

I think I have mentioned before, that I knew Fred Dawkins well. He was an old navy cook who opened the cafe after he served his time. He later replaced that urn with a tea machine. You just pushed the cup against the handle to fill up with tea it was potent stuff.

He used to crack up with me because I wouldn't drink it and always had coffee. He reckoned I was a [censored]***g nuisance or something like. One thing about Fred's was you didn't need a newspaper to read whilst you was having your breakfast you could read all the smutty postcards on the walls.

Without Fred's half the Irish navies in the area would have starved, they came in each night for a dinner on tick till the end of the week. They never did him out of his money either, because there was no where else they could go.

There was only two things about Fred's that annoyed me and that was the chess players who wouldn't move when you wanted a table to eat your meal and the other was when Fred brought a different sandwitch to what you had ordered, he would just say shut up and stop moaning and eat what you've got.

Happy days.

Phil
Make Love Not War