Author Topic: Great Colmore Row  (Read 10360 times)

locum999

Great Colmore Row
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »
I was born in 1954 in Great Colmore Row. I have seen some images of these back to back houses, but am trying to find more. I remember Davenports (beer at home) at end of the Birmingham and the catholic church on the horsefair. Are there any people who lived or remember this street in the 1950s and early 1960s. My family moved from the area in about 1957 and moved to Moseley.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Great Colmore Row
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
Hi locum

Welcome to the forum, I think you are getting a little confused with Colmore Row which was in the town centre and Great Colmore Street which ran from Bristol Street to Wheeley's Lane.

The St Catherine of Siena RC  church was on the Horsefair Bristol St and has now been replaced by a new church, Davenports brewery was on Bath Row but it has long gone now.

Do you have your old address for Great Colmore St, as I have several photos of the road, you never know I might even jave one of your old house.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

locum999

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:22 PM »
Thanks for such a rapid reply.

Re-checking what I wrote (not trying to sound like Ernie Wise), I should have said the correct address was 4 back of 62 Great Colmore Street. Yes was thinking of Colmore Row in the center of the City.
I was three when we left, but can remember with great clarity, the outside loos in the middle of the "square". The pokey stairs in the house, which was by the entrance to the "square" and the other houses. The whole being  built like a medieval castle.

Thanks for your help which is appreciated 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
Hello again locum

I'm sorry but I am unable to come up with a photo of your back house  on Great Colmore Street, but I have found a photo tagged 61 & 62 Great Colmore Street so if it is tagged correctly then your house would have been up the entry between the two houses.

I'll sort some further photos of the area out and post them as well later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »
Locum

Looking at the map, you lived at number 4, 12 Court Great Colmore Street. I'm afraid I have no photos of that court but I do have some of other back courts in that street.

I will post others later.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:41:32 AM »
These are some more photos of different parts of Great Colmore Street not long before it was demolished by the looks of them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

locum999

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
I really don't what to say, except I am so grateful for all the replies. My son who is 24, asks me for a potted history of my side of the family, (my parents, and brother and sisters are deceased). I keep starting, but life gets in the way. These 'photos are really great. They will be so helpful.

A big thanks

MITCHELL

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:42:10 PM »
Hi Phil good pictures have you any thing on Alfred terrace of Great Colmore street my mom and dad lived at 1 back of 14 till 1945 her sister then lived their with her husband then my moms other sister lived their. Her two sisters are on electoral roll.All three got married at saint Catherines of Siena  1941,1945,1949,appreciate any help.  Mitchell.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
Hi Mitchell,

I can only do the same as I did for locum and that is show you a picture of the houses that fronted Alfred Terrace. Alfred terrace was on the right of Great Colmore Street as you entered it from Bristol Rd. This is an early photo of numbers 15 & 16 and the terrace would have been accessed through the entry between the two houses.

In later years some of the houses around numbers 15 & 16 are missing, that may be because they were bombed out during the war or they might just have been demolished to open up the terraces to the light and air.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

marshey

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »
Loved the pictures of Great Colmore Street. My two aunts lived in back-to-backs but I can`t remember the numbers, sadly they`re both gone now - Mr and Mrs Hales (4 girls and 1 boy in a back-to-back)! and across the entry was Mr and Mrs Rae, 1 daughter Jean, sadly deceased.  I remember Davenports and leapfrogging over the concrete posts on our way home from school, St Thomas`s, Granville Street.

MITCHELL

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Hi Marshey their is a John R. Ray and Christina ray at 1 back 53. Also Fredrick  W. and Florence Hales 2 back 54 ,Great  Colmore  street.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy