Author Topic: Great Colmore Row  (Read 10359 times)

marshey

Re: Great Colmore Row
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 02:47:29 PM »
Hello there Mitchell, yes thats them!  We lived in Lee Mount, off Lee Bank and my nan and granddad lived at the corner of Wheeleys Lane. My aunt Chrissie (Christina) and uncle Jack (John) passed away quite young and my cousin Jean, their only child, died in 2008.  I was very close to Jean and me and my husband travelled the world with her and her hubby Peter.  My aunt Floss (Florence) lived to be 92 and all the children (my cousins) are scattered around the Midlands.  We all attended St Thomas`s School.  Its great to see pictures and remember.

Pelenise

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:41:58 PM »
Hi  I lived in Great Colmore Street in the Y flats,  from 1952 - 1972,  i remember the back to back houses, also the church that was on the corner of Latimer street and Gt.Colmore Street,
I was told that the street had been bombed heavy in war,  My Dad used to work for Slumberland and used to park up down the bottom of the street on waste ground

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
Hi Pelenise

Welcome to the forum, I don't think that the Lee Bank area fared any worse than other areas of Birmingham from bombing during the war, perhaps because of it's proximately to town it might have suffered a little more. I think during 1950-1970 most of the empty sites would have been due to demolition as Lee Bank was redeveloped.

This would be the Lee Bank that you remember then,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pelenise

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:17:14 PM »
That's the view to the park taken from grant street, many a time i have played there

Martin160

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »
My father was born at number 78 Great Colmore Street where my grandfather had a shoe repairing business.
Is the photo of the corner shop number 78?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 09:51:37 PM »
Hi Martin

Welcome to you, to which photo do you refer, is it the second photo down in reply #6 ?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:22:16 PM »
Hi Martin

I did a little checking, the photo at post 6 is of the corner of Great Colmore Street and Cregoe Street which was indeed number 78. At the time of the photo being taken the shop was a fish & chip shop owned by a Charles Morgan, but when I checked back to the 1920's it was owned by a Bert Watts and it was a boot makers shop. Here is an enlargement of the image.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Martin160

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »
Thank you so much Phil.
I've been trying to find a photo of this for many many years.
Bert Watts was my uncle who took over the business when my grandfather died in 1919/1920.
My father was one of eight children who were all born at 78. They all went to St Thomas's school.

Martin

bobx

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
Hi there, I've just joined this site and I'm trying to get to grips with it.Does Pelenise have any more details about Latimer Street? I used to live there up until about 1960, I think I went to the school on the corner but I've learned it was a church and I cannot place where Latimer Street was. Can anyone clear the situation?ThanksBOB

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »
Hi Bob

Welcome to you, I'm afraid that Pelenise has not posted to the forum for over 3 years now, but Latimer Street originally ran from Pigot Street to Great Colmore Street. I think your nearest school would have Been St Thomas's just over Bath Row on Granville Street. What number Latimer Street did you live at, I might have a photo?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bobx

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
Hiya PhilThanks for your reply, I'm sure I lived at 90 Latimer Street, the entry was on the right when looking straight at the houses, there were no front gardens and there were what we called an island or extra parking ground outside and our house was opposite the Colwyn Arms pub (we called it the new pub).
We used to go to the picture house on Bristol Road, it's now a McDonolds.ThanksBob.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy