Author Topic: PERMANITE ASPHALT  (Read 26838 times)

uncle albert

Re: PERMANITE ASPHALT
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »
Geoff Sambrook still works i think on light duties for N Bird. The lads on there call him uncle Albert !
hey,gerald,some good memories on here,i remember working for permanite,trouble is we got paid on a wednesday,and every asphalter used to tap you up for a sub in the bulls=head pub stechford....till they got paid on thursday..[doh]..alan young was the main man on permanite then,brother of billy [the missisippe gambler]..lol..anyone remember norman talbot [the pretty thing]....posh price...pete..jeff..freddie..jim basset...etc...

chad49

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »

Hi Uncle Albert, "the pretty thing" AKA Norman Talbot was my mixerman on Val DE Travers, what a strange bloke!! as his nickname suggests he wasn't the best looking   bloke, for some reason he always had a mirror he had found wedged on the mixer, i worked with Alan Young on
Amasco his mixerman was Arthur Wall, who looked like he'd gone 10rounds with Henry Cooper(& i sure he could have)

Dave

carole williams

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2015, 09:13:25 PM »
Chad,
 aint been on for a while ( illness ) was sorry to hear of Ray Jinks passing away he worked with me in the eighties on the sava centre oldbury my brother Gerald was at rays funeral,  ray was a very nice man its sad news,  Geoff great your on here remember working at Redditch in the 70s with me old man ( black jack ) remember when you brought the ford  zodiac is dave still in Malta? good old days when the stuff was always ramping!! 

carole williams

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
 Was talking to a old brickie the other day about piece work in his trade and ours, if I remember correctly when I was on the tools we had to lay
41 yards of flat per spreader per 8 hours, and or 77 foot of skirting and fillet for 8 hours ( 2 coat) my dad did tell me of a time before I started work that  one and a half times you plant was 8 hours for the gang? this was  obviously  before tankers,    any one out there in asphalt world remember??

Gerald Bates

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2015, 09:17:08 PM »
Dennis Haden passed away last wednesday 29th april , he worked for Permanite and Monarch Asphalt , he

he had been ill for some years, I think he was about 83

Tommy Jinks passed away about 11 years ago.

charliewag

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
Hi Gerald, Sorry to hear of the death of Dennis Haden and Tommy Jinks two well known Asphalt spreaders in the Asphalt Industry. New them well, thats the troubly when you retire  you lose contact.
my they Rest in Peace.

Charlie
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

teegee

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 07:13:57 PM »
Did Dennis Haden have a son called carl? also an asphalter.

Gerald Bates

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
Dennis does have a son Carl who worked for Briggs and Monarch Asphalt, he has now retired now because of back and hip problems.

Dennis Haden funeral is thursday 21st May at Witton at 10am

teegee

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »
I have this picture of Carl (far right) with some of the Swan, Washwood Heath pool team. I am standing next to him. I would'nt post this pic till someone confirmed he is Dennis Hadens son which Gerald has so kindly done. This pic was taken back in the 70's.

Gerald Bates

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »
Sorry, but im at a loss as to who  Chad 49, Charliewag, Teegee are ,

my own brother is now called Carole, am i missing something ?

chad49

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:26 AM »

Hi Gerald, they're all user names for the site, or it might be because we're all ex asphalters we dont want the police coming round  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy