Author Topic: PERMANITE ASPHALT  (Read 26810 times)

carole williams

PERMANITE ASPHALT
« on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
 My husband worked for permanite asphalt in the 60s and the 70s Johnny Bates started on castle vale when he walked up the runway to the tower blocks right at the back of the airfield by the hangers fisher and Ludlow were there then we did most of the roofing on the vale, then to the bromford race course from there we worked on chelmsley wood town centre it was a big hole in the ground then, any other asphalters remember this ?? I will get him to answer you if there are any replies

charliewag

Re: PERMANITE ASPHALT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:06:11 PM »
Hello Carole I was a apprentice working for Highways Construction in those years, the Bates family was well  known in the trade I think there where more than one Johnny Bates, that time I was working in Nottingham on the pit head baths, my chargehand in those days was George Woolly well known in the trade.

Charlie
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

carole williams

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:17 PM »
 Hello, Charlie,
 I remember my dad used to tell me of the highways and the ragooser (think the spellings wrong} val de travers, wimpey asphalt permanite have all gone I worked for permanite, monarch, Aldridge asphalt, don't know if brindley are still going when I look back we worked hard for our money, but it was a good trade did you know reg shepherd ? alan baker?
all the best
 john

charliewag

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »
John, Yes good mate was Reggie Shepherd, had some good times with him. Did you go to Brooklyn Tec, remember George Clifton, great days travelling all round the country and all the different factories, hospitals, schools, asylums every day was different I miss those times.                     

Charlie

chad49

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »
Hello Carole I was a apprentice working for Highways Construction in those years, the Bates family was well  known in the trade I think there where more than one Johnny Bates, that time I was working in Nottingham on the pit
My husband worked for permanite asphalt in the 60s and the 70s Johnny Bates started on castle vale when he walked up the runway to the tower blocks right at the back of the airfield by the hangers fisher and Ludlow were there then we did most of the roofing on the vale, then to the bromford race course from there we worked on chelmsley wood town centre it was a big hole in the ground then, any other asphalters remember this ?? I will get him to answer you if there are any replies
head baths, my chargehand in those days was George Woolly well known in the trade.

Charlie
  Chad49   i worked on VAL DE TRAVERS in the 60s then moved on to Amasco when i finished my Apprenticesship, i think i was at Brooklyn with John around 65ish Harry Earp was the teacher,  i worked with Reg or AKA the Lamburger!!!  Had some great times all over the country worked with some great blokes all so some right headcases!!

chad49

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:24:16 PM »
head baths, my chargehand in those days was George Woolly well known in the trade.

Charlie
  Chad49   i worked on VAL DE TRAVERS in the 60s then moved on to Amasco when i finished my Apprenticesship, i think i was at Brooklyn with John around 65ish Harry Earp was the teacher,  i worked with Reg or AKA the Lamburger!!!  Had some great times all over the country worked with some great blokes all so some right headcases!!

charliewag

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »
John,
My uncle George Humphrey worked for the Val De for many years as a potman, he retired in the  50s.  Me as I said work for Highways Construction & the French Asphalt Com to give it's full name, then when all the small firms joined as one ( Amalgamated Asphalt Ltd ) then Briggs took
 us over  The Tarmac and they made me redundant with many others.

Charlie

chad49

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
When i first started on the Asphalting Charlie Humphrey was our Union man, was he any relation to you ?

carole williams

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »
 Hello Charlie and chad,
 sorry about the delay in replying been rough, its great to hear from you both it gives me a link to fellow asphalters, I was at Brooklyn in1965
harry Earp was our mentor then,it does not seem that long ago but now I am a pensioner, as for reg shepherd (the lambuger) I joined him as a apprentice  he was huge man what a carry on what fun we had, have fond memories of reg, I remember Charlie Humphrey as our union man does any one remember BIG TOM, STAN COTON, KENNY COX, Dave pheeny   was at college with me in 1965 his family was well known in the trade
 I do hope other asphalters read  and talk on this site  it would be  great to hear from them
all the best
john

charliewag

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
John and Chad
Yes that was my father the Midlands Union Rep. John the names you mention Dave Feeny, work many times with his father Vic Feeny,
Stan Cotton great mate of mine knocked about with him from a early age.
I left home when I was 16 and went to live with his family till I was married at 21, what a cracking family.
Charlie.

teegee

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
I think Brindley are still going, Apex went bust 2 or 3 years back. I have just retired 12 months back, I started with Permanite back in the 60's and ended up with Woodhull Roofing as a felter though, not asphalt. I've worked for Briggs,Ruberoid, Amasco, Apex, Kelsey,B'ham Felt Roofing and others.I knew some of the Feeneys, Dean in particular, I remember Jimmy Coton, good asphalter. I'll try and think of some more names. I worked in the office with Don Heath till he retired then his son Russell came in. I knew his other son Brett. Like I said I will try and think of others.

Terry

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy