Author Topic: PERMANITE ASPHALT  (Read 26813 times)

chad49

Re: PERMANITE ASPHALT
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
 Chad49........    John i must have been  at Brooklyn with you, i was there the same time as Dave Feeny. Others off Val's were Keith Wainwright & Ronnie Ansell Danny Mckeon, Dont know if you can remember when that Nutter Ronnie Ansell let a firework rocket off in the canteen & we all got sent back to our firms. Dennis Earp Kenny Cox & his brother Brian who was mixerman were in the gang i had to go & work with when i left school, what a shock that was

Charlie i was on loan to Amasco for a short time, at the time they had just started doing there own screeding on the roof & if i'm  right after all these years you & Jimmy Foxall were the main men on that. On Val's i worked with my Uncle Dennis Earp Ronnie Harrison Kenny Figgers, Tommy Cotter Tony Cotton & all the Robinson brothers & loads of others

Dave

charliewag

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
Dave,
Yes me and Jimmy Foxall work together for some time, we had some good times. Your uncle Dennis  and Harry Earp where a few years older than me, I used to one day a week with Harry teaching a Brooklyn Tec for a couple of years. Was at Brooklyn Tec with Ronny Harris, Kenny Figgers, George Clitton when it first opened up for the asphalt studants. Tommy Cotter I work with him on Wimpy Housing Coventry on the pitch flooring, he tipped a bucket of pictch across my back, I end up having a skin graft on my elbow.

Charlie.
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

carole williams

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »
Hello everyone,
chad, yes you must have been at brooklyn at the same time because I remember Ronnie Ansell  well, I also worked for don heath in the 80s
with nick cuddy, and graham egan, and Ronnie hunt had some good money with don, jimmy coton started work with me as an apprentice around 1979  also worked with Kenny cox on chelmsley wood basement, fun from the start, I remember the 4 tonner we had on new street  station working with Ronnie morgan as a apprentice, massive machine  the trade like all of us was different most days and we travelled all around the country great days

teegee

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 09:15:48 AM »
In this picture, you have in white shirts, Don Heath (left) and John Woodhull (right). I also knew Nick Cuddy, he became an instructor at Lifford Lane training college.

chad49

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
Chad49
           Charlie having a burn on your hand was bad enough when you were on pitch flooring( i hated it) but on your back & arm!!! Cotter was a bully, as you know in them days the Chargehand's word was law & Cotter was worst of the lot even the gaffers was scared of him. I worked with him for sometime, He always wanted to start laying Flat at 8am sharp, he had use to get up on the mixer lift the lid & check if it was full, then stick a wooden roofing gauage into the asphalt, if it didn't touch the shaft & wasn't ready for flat there was trouble. I lost count of the Mixermen Potmen & Labourers  he chinned (it was a diffrent time then).... John you were on about the old 4ton mixers, we had two coke 4 tonners they were monsters when i was on Val's, we were doing heavy flooring at Good Year, just to charge them in then grit them up was hard enough. Got there the one morning cookers were silent!!! the night man had gone to sleep & both 4tonners were burnt on, so 8ton banker then chip them out ready for the next day!!!!

Dave

carole williams

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
Hello Chad,
 I had to laugh to my self about the 4 tonners, we must have slightly mad in those days you are right just to charge one of these monsters was enough to exhaust you for the day the height onto the side was high enough to stack blocks, I don't think I could lift a block now, as for tommy cotter I never knew him only by name sounds not very nice Terry Smith from stechford worked with him and Jacky Fallon both nice guys and mixer men forgot till you said we used coke in them days, and have seen my share of burn ons, and the banjo opened by the kids
akk the best

Tarpotroger

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
Hi there worked with many of the names mentioned over 15 years as Potman/mixerman on various company's, no health and safety issues that long ago I can remember having to climb gates and fences to get to light pots or mixers in all weathers, but had some great times and met a lot of great characters especially black jack bates, John/Geoff/Gerald's dad, hard work long hours but more good times than bad. Regards to all that remember me Ernie Humphreys.

charliewag

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
On Highways back in the 50s we had a 6,ton and a 10,ton cookers, the only time I was working with on the Austin factory relaying the west works main road, they where brought in site Pickfords  low loaders. On nights where two mixer men and three labourers, they were so high you couldn't  throw the blocks in, you had to throw them onto the stage then throw them into the mixer, the grit had to be bucketed to the stage and into the mixer, when the drive belt broke it was like a 30 Ft. whip lashing above you head, it went from the engine to the drive wheel by the banjo at the front in a figure of eight with No Guard. We used to have 3 ton out of the 6 tonner and recharge to get it out later plus the 10 tonner, that's if it was ready in the morning.

chad49

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
Chad49

6ton & 10ton cookers???  And i thought we had it hard!! if you try to explain to someone how hard a

trade it was they would never believe you, but i loved it . Charlie did you live in Redlake Tamworth at

anytime? i seem to remember many years ago seeing at the bottom of Redlake Roy Sandbrooke with

Asphalt Pot  doing flooring i think? i'm crap with names but i'm sure Roy said it was for you!!

Dave

Bannion

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »
Just nosing in and in no way connected to asphalt but simply to say how interesting it is to read of people who so obviously enjoyed the hardships and comraderie of their working life.    Thank you all. O0

charliewag

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
Dave,
Lived on the Pershore  Road, Selly Park from 1957 till 1992, then up the Lickey Hills.
I know the Sandbrooks both Roy and Jeff two good lads.

Bannion,
I worked in the asphalt Trade from 1952 to 2005 best time of my life would not change it, some great memories

Charlie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy