Author Topic: PERMANITE ASPHALT  (Read 26812 times)

carole williams

Re: PERMANITE ASPHALT
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 04:08:19 PM »
 Charlie,
is Geoff sambrook still in the game ?
worked with Geoff in the  late 60s when he lived in latelow road lea hal

charliewag

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 10:18:13 PM »
John
Lost contact with Jeff Sandbrook 10 years ago when I retired, he was living in Chelmsley Wood then.
Charlie
Don't Compare your life with Others--
You have No idea what their Journey is all about.

chad49

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
Chad 49

I worked with Kenny Cox Bob Feeny Ray Cook & Dave Sandbrooke, when i first started work age 15

what a shock that was! AMASCO as long as u were working local we use to go of a Thursday to the

yard for our wages & before going home without fail up to a  pub in Town or to

Aston Cross to the Travellers rest pub. Loads of Asphalters from other firms as you probably know

use to meet up there. Lots of the younger ones use to play cards 3 & 7 card brag, the times i saw

blokes loose there wages, most stpopped there to throwing out time( expain that one to the missus)

how they got up for work the next day?? we were working at the MEB Summer Lane many times

Jackie Howard our mixerman use to go from the Trav's to the job & kip under the mixer & not bother

going home unbelievable!!!!!

Dave

carole williams

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
 Dave,
 Jackie Howard was my uncle lived he in Yardley, married to my aunt rosie who was the sister of as Ernie humperys  said earlier black jack AKA Jackie bates, son of tiddley bates, the Higgins /bates  families were years ago a family concern in the asphalt trade, as were many families fathers sons relations all came into the trade, uncle jack was known to sleep out many times after a drink as many cooker men did in those days
Charlie I will try to find Geoff to see where he is now I would like to know, I think dave is in Gibraltar
 did anyone work for ALDRIDGE ASPHALT in blews street?

Tarpotroger

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
Hi Carole, I worked at Aldridge Asphalt for a short period, worked with Austin Rose/ Graham Egan / Paddy Cullen, in fact over many years I was mixerman for lots of the names mentioned on this forum, I am still in contact with the Bates boys but only seem to meet others from the trade at funerals unfortunately but there are a lot old memories spoken about.
Regards to all the old boys out there
Ernie Humphreys

charliewag

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
another old Asphalt Company The Neuchatel, old offices over the bank Hagley Road and Monument Road

carole williams

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
 Hello ernie glad you and vonne are well remember the days well with Alan Baker great fun remember tony mills last time I saw him he was a bus driver on chemo he was a case and half Geoff and Gerald are still in the trade mainly felting though
 Charlie, my dad used to talk a lot of the newchatel  do you know when they stopped trading also the ragoosa  was  another firm dad used to
talk about

Tarpotroger

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »
Hi Carole the two firms you mentioned were finished when I came into the trade around 1969, haven't seen tony since I left the trade 27 years ago only met a few from the trade since then, how do you know Yvonne I can't place you at the moment please enlighten me.
Regards
Ernie

chad49

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
Chad49

What a great photo Charlie, i worked with a 2 old Spreaders Billy Handley Bernie Macarthy who'd gone over & worked in France i think between the War's but i'm not sure, some of the stories they came out with!!!! 

Dave

carole williams

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 10:23:02 PM »
 hello ernie,
  I am johnny bates wife carole bates, 8) Williams is my maiden name
 sorry for the confusion,

charliewag

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »
John,
Neuchatel, Ragusa, Highways and a few other small asphalt companies joined together in the late 50s/early 60s to form AMASCO ( Amalgamated  Asphalt Companies ) the taken over by Brigg Roofing and then Tarmac.

Dave,
Bernard McCarthy, well what a character, I spent some time with him as a apprentice, he was a piper in the Northfield Irish Pipe Band, he was married to a lovely woman, she was from Germany.  He certainly kiss the Blarney Stone he could tell a good tale or two.

Charlie

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy