Author Topic: Muhammed Ali centre  (Read 1610 times)

tali

Muhammed Ali centre
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »
Muhammad Ali centre - what's the location of it?- also any archive pics of it (Phil47?) and why has a building bearing the name of one the great icons fallen into such shambolic dereliction- was it politics, finance or indifference?
When was the last time it was open to public?
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

mazbeth

Re: Muhammed Ali centre
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 10:05:28 PM »
and why has a building bearing the name of one the great icons fallen into such shambolic dereliction- was it politics, finance or indifference?
maybe it's concern that humans are being brain damaged and that is no iconic statement to our youth  :-\
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
Tali

The Muhammad Ali Community Centre was in Hockley just adjacent to the Hockley flyover I believe. Never having been there I cannot say for sure.  I think the centre was a little like the Hummingbird in Dale End, another one of the Birmingham Councils pet projects at the time.

With both projects, Birmingham rate payers money was fed into them over the years, On several occasions when it ran out or just disappeared they requested more money from the Council. This happened on several occasions until the Council got fed up and withdrew all funding. Both places closed almost immediately.

I have to say that I am not sure of any of these facts so don't quote me. It just seems to be what I remember reading in the press at the time and it annoyed me because the rates at the time were increasing so fast every year, it just seemed to be a waste of resources.

Phil
Make Love Not War

tali

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:51:06 PM »
maybe it's concern that humans are being brain damaged and that is no iconic statement to our youth  :-\
?
"I hear much support for the monarchy.I hear the Union Jack's to remain .I see Namatjira in custody.I see Truganini's in chains"

tali

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »

The Muhammad Ali Community Centre was in Hockley just adjacent to the Hockley flyover I believe. Never having been there I cannot say for sure.  I think the centre was a little like the Hummingbird in Dale End, another one of the Birmingham Councils pet projects at the time.

With both projects, Birmingham rate payers money was fed into them over the years, On several occasions when it ran out or just disappeared they requested more money from the Council. This happened on several occasions until the Council got fed up and withdrew all funding. Both places closed almost immediately.

I have to say that I am not sure of any of these facts so don't quote me. It just seems to be what I remember reading in the press at the time and it annoyed me because the rates at the time were increasing so fast every year, it just seemed to be a waste of resources.

Phil
Very hard finding info on this but it was run by James Hunte and there appears to be some sort of financial irregularities regarding Hunte- who, allegedly was paid off to leave for the West Indies.
Centre is listed as on Hockley Hill but can't find any archive pics